Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, all being well my GTV will go on sunday and im looking seriously at 156 V6s 2.5

Is there a buying guide on this beauties or should i just apply common sense and ask all the standard questions, heard the V6 was bomb proof

Any pointers would be great!!

Ta

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Hi Andy,

Not sure if this applies to GTV as well, but look out for squeaky suspension, the upper wishbones are common components to wear, but not a huge job, so look for some speed bumps.

Aim for a recent cambelt change and make sure the water pump was done too, otherwise it is quite a costly job to do (more so than a twinny, more to do due to labor)

ermm, keep an eye on the temperature gauge, make sure the fans don't kick in due to over heating, but this is kinda more of the common sense stuff really, thats all i can think at the moment, until someone else comes along :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Hey guys, all being well my GTV will go on sunday and im looking seriously at 156 V6s 2.5

Is there a buying guide on this beauties or should i just apply common sense and ask all the standard questions, heard the V6 was bomb proof

Any pointers would be great!!

Ta
Apply the common sense of normal car buying

Find one you like

And never look back :)

......oh and never regret anything

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I would try and get one with a Sport/veloce pack if possible. The non sportpack suspension is not very good with the heavier V6 up front.

Its too soft and boat like, and you will find the car touches the ground quite often.

The sportpack cars still feel a bit underdamped on undulating roads, but are miles better than the non sportpacked "Lusso" models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys for the advice, my GTV had the suspension done at 60k shes on 87k now so i would like to find proof of that on a 156

so do the water pumps fail on V6s?? And i would expect the 156 to share the same electrics as GTV so heater fan switch failing too on 1 2 3? etc etc?

sorry for the questions guys

·
Vendor
45,289 Posts
Never heard of heater fan switch problems on a 156. The plastic waterpumps can crack, allowing the water to flow back and cause the car to overheat at high rpm. Most will have had a belt and most likely the metal waterpump from the 3.0 GTV retro-fitted by now though, but proof is always nice.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
156 V6 is a brilliant car - I have had mine for years and I'm still loving it. Look out for creaking front suspension bushes, a fidgety back end on cornering (rear bushes), dashboard rattles (esp with the heater on), check the aircon works and check that the clutch isn't heavy. Although it's a V6, a new proper Alfa clutch is beautifully light, so if the clutch is hard to press, it's near the end of its life.

The 2.5 is an excellent car, giving great performance and vaguely acceptable fuel consumption. The GTA is even better though, if you can fund the fuel and insurance.

·
Vendor
45,289 Posts
Although the GTA is dearer on insurance, fuelling it is no worse than a 2.5 if both are driven spiritedly. The chassis and the brakes are also much improved and maintenence costs are roughly similar. Obviously the initial cost to buy the car is more but I reckon if you have the budget to run a 2.5 then you would be able to afford a 3.2 as well, there's really not much in it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Although the GTA is dearer on insurance, fuelling it is no worse than a 2.5 if both are driven spiritedly. The chassis and the brakes are also much improved and maintenence costs are roughly similar. Obviously the initial cost to buy the car is more but I reckon if you have the budget to run a 2.5 then you would be able to afford a 3.2 as well, there's really not much in it.
I would certainly agree that the GTA is a better car. Having test driven three of them, I'm seriously considering trading my 2.5 for one. But I have heard from an owner of both cars that the GTA burns a lot more fuel around town. But then you wouldn't buy a 2.5 for its fuel economy either :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GTA is going to be out of my price range unfortunitly, i would love one though

Think my main concerns then will be cambelt proof, good servicing and suspension work carried out

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Andy
I see your after a V6. How much do you want to spend?

I have a 2000 V plate, had 1 owner before me, with all the major work done. New clutch, timing belt, water pump, brakes, both rads, upper wishbones and new Goodyear F1's on refurbed alloys.
This one is silver with black leather, excellent condition.

I want to sell for £1600, if you're interested, give me a shout for pics etc. Make me an offer??

All the best
Regards
Simon:)

·
Vendor
45,289 Posts
I wouldn't say the GTA burns a lot more fuel around town.. The only time it will burn a fair bit more fuel is when it is colder. But as its a much torquier engine you will find you rev it less pulling away and moving slowly in traffic, you will gain a bit of fuel economy there, which will go someway to offset the extra 700cc.

Sounds like a good price Stoyce, all the best selling it. Make sure you put an ad up on PistonHeads, I sold my 156 JTD on their.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts