Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all (again!), Been having issues with my hood on my 939 Spider. Despite having all gas struts replaced as advised to fix earlier issues I'm now finding that every now and again (Warm weather seems to be a common factor ironically?) the hood will fail mid cycle (usually opening) and the dreaded (Temp roof failure) warning pops up.....usually if you wait a few seconds you can try again and she willingly obliges and completes the cycle......however a couple of times lately it's stuck half open, half closed (usually embarrassingly in middle of Asda car park.......other supermarkets are available but as yet unaffected).......I seem to have to wait 10 mins for everything to de-gas so I can manually (but not properly) shut or open the roof to get home......I'm in this position now where she is sitting on the drive with an 'Open' hood but still any attempt to open or close electrically heeds the temp failure notice.......I'm wondering if this is a Synchronisation problem with the ECU not knowing where exactly the hood is........so how do I re-synch or reset it's poor confused brain??
Would love any pearls of wisdom or insights you may have......and when fixed I will avoid Asda.
;-) A

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am going to do a seperate post about a fault I had and discovered the cause that was very similar...

When opening roof..Press the roof button, rear window flips up ok, deck raises a couple of inches and then get the beep and "temp roof failure" message, let go of the button and press again and it will complete the cycle. But when you come to close it, press the button and roof will go all the way through the closing cycle until the deck is back to a couple of inches from closing and "temp roof failure" message appears and it then pretty much refuses to close. Let go of the button and press again and nothing, I had a couple of times where turn the ignition off and on again and it closed but usually a big issue. Did not do it all the time, at the same time I was in and out the boot a few times to keep drying it out for another unrelated issue and I noticed sometimes the boot light did not work. I did not think anything more of it until I saw a post for something else to do with the boot light on here where it said there were 2 sensors that run off the boot lock. So I went down, gave it a good lubricating and the switch / boot light worked fine and no more temp roof issue.

I can only assume that part of the boot switch / senors is tied to the roof closing to let the roof know the boot is closed and therefore not going to collide at that point of the cycle. I am not 100% sure there is a link but yesterday I went to open the roof and got the temo failure message when the deck lifted the 2 inches, went the rest of the cycle, opened the boot and sure enough the boot light was not on. Lubricated the switch again, closed the boot and the roof closed without the error.

Might be worth checking your boot light if you have similar symptoms

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to do a seperate post about a fault I had and discovered the cause that was very similar...

When opening roof..Press the roof button, rear window flips up ok, deck raises a couple of inches and then get the beep and "temp roof failure" message, let go of the button and press again and it will complete the cycle. But when you come to close it, press the button and roof will go all the way through the closing cycle until the deck is back to a couple of inches from closing and "temp roof failure" message appears and it then pretty much refuses to close. Let go of the button and press again and nothing, I had a couple of times where turn the ignition off and on again and it closed but usually a big issue. Did not do it all the time, at the same time I was in and out the boot a few times to keep drying it out for another unrelated issue and I noticed sometimes the boot light did not work. I did not think anything more of it until I saw a post for something else to do with the boot light on here where it said there were 2 sensors that run off the boot lock. So I went down, gave it a good lubricating and the switch / boot light worked fine and no more temp roof issue.

I can only assume that part of the boot switch / senors is tied to the roof closing to let the roof know the boot is closed and therefore not going to collide at that point of the cycle. I am not 100% sure there is a link but yesterday I went to open the roof and got the temo failure message when the deck lifted the 2 inches, went the rest of the cycle, opened the boot and sure enough the boot light was not on. Lubricated the switch again, closed the boot and the roof closed without the error.

Might be worth checking your boot light if you have similar symptoms
You could well be onto something there my friend! Indeed on checking....no boot light....liberal working in of WD40 into boot lock and damn me it works........Ive studied where the hood is failing and its as you suggest its the final few inches of the top deck unable to fully close and lock......Ive manually locked it down as per user manual on emergency manual operation and managed to get the back window 'closed'....tho struggling to find where the final 'push' needs to applied to fully lock.
So it seems I still have the same issue but getting closer me thinks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts