Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an extract from an email recieved from a certain northern based hood company after I sent them an enquiry about the cost of getting the rear window section replaced on my spider, I'll let you decide what you think about it.

"supply only for rear section would be £230 including VAT fitting would add £200 as you have to remove most of the hood to fit the rear window. delivery is ex stock plus £10 carriage, thanks for your enquiry"

Needless to say I sent them an email straight back informing them of how to change the rear window section and how long it takes (about 20 mins I reckon as long as the screws aren't seized) which takes there labour rates up through the roof. Cheeky gits, I bet a lot of unknowing motorists get scammed by this sort of thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had a quote from Coburns in Swindon (who come recommended, and apparently regularly do Spiders) of £195 inc fitting for a new rear window section, and they said fitting would be approx 2hrs. i am having mine done next weekend with them.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning to buy the hood section myself and fit it as all the good places are too far away for me. Found one for £200 including VAT and delivery so I might go for that one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you tried Carhood, they are supposed to be reasonable -whether it works out like that with carriage etc.

Doesn't the rear section have to be sewn in? I looked at mine and it seemed to be stitched in. No one really responded on my earlier thread regarding rear window removal - that's why I am now going for the fitted option!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The rear section is removable by lifting the rear of the hood up and undoing the line of allen bolts, then unzipping and unclipping the whole rear section including the black fabric that runs across the lower rear of the hood.

The repairers will then remove the plastic and re-stitch a new piece in place and re-fit the rear section. However if you order a rear section, it will come with all the fabric etc. and you will have to fit it yourself.

None of the repairers are near enough to where I live for it to be sensible so I'll have to fit the section myself.

EDIT* Carhood is who I have the quote of £200 inc vat and delivery from, but thanks anyway*

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timed myself removing the old rear section today and it took me 27mins from opening my garage door, to placing the removed section on the worktop in my garage.

Thinking of informing trading standards about this one, some cheek to charge about £400/hour don't you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts