Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right lads, a new twist in my never ending quest to get a 166. After being put off somewhat the more time I spend on this forum reading the woes of the masses regarding their 166s I've finally decided that I'm going to get one (cue Stu rolling his eyes) and have been getting my 5 series ready for sale in preparation to do so!

Last night however on Gumtree I was emailing a lad about a swap for his 2001 166 Twinnie. It's black with cream leather but the cars history is patchy mainly due to the guys English being so bad. I don't know if his car is the one (because I really want a V6) but he is interested in buying my BMW anyway so it may be a quick and easy way of getting rid and starting to look for a 166. Anyway, what looks like a quite decent if a little expensive 166 has just came up for sale on Pistonheads near Aberdeen but the service history doesn't seem a full one according to the guys description.

Alfa Romeo : Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 V6 Lusso

My dilema is though that the 166 Super in Labinjohs in Edinburgh is still for sale. I was through last Sunday and the condition of it is fantastic both inside and out. Only problem is the very high mileage. It's done 180,000 miles but has a full and detailed service history and has had things like the clutch, many suspension components, etc done in the last 20k miles. It has also only had one owner from new (Grifio) who used to be on here who swears that the car is brilliant and can't recommend it highly enough. Further 2 problems though are that the garage want £1995 and it needs a belt change now which they want an extra £700 to do. In my opinion the price is too high for the mileage though the car is a 51 plate. Given the belt situation it gets worse.

What do you guys think about the car given its mileage, etc? If I can haggle a bit off do you think the car will last or give no end of problems. I'm drawn to it as the history is so damn good and comprehensive and that being 1 owner it looks genuinely well looked after (and it's all motorway mileage). The fact is that if I buy it and do the belts straight away then I will feel confident that they are done. It seems with 166s that they all end up having the same problems at some point in their lives. The fact that this one has had a lot of common problems fixed on it gives me some amount of confidence.

I know it's not an easy one to answer but thoughts would be welcome to see if I'm mad.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The car on pistonheads looks on face value a decent car. You can afford to be fussy about choosing a 166. It took me months to find a good one. The car description doesn't mention a cambelt change so this would be my first question. An alfa specilaist can fit a new belt, tensioner and idlers for around 400-450 quid.

The exhaust on the car looks like a stainless steel one as it is not the standard one so this is a plus as they are expensive to replace. The interior looks in very good order but check everything electrical. Make sure the central locking system works as it should as it can be prone to go haywire now and again. Have a look at the oil level and condition. A nice golden brown is a bonus but dark sludgy oil is a big no no.

Ive got a 2.5 and would recommend it.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
yep the blue one looks the part IMO,

tyres are not cheap on this car, so check them out, 4 Goodyear F1s are a good sign of a caring owner, crappy £40 far eastern tyres on 150mph car would make me challenge the quality of rest of the maintainance.

HTH

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the feedback guys.

I noticed from the boys email address that he works for an oil company hence he can afford good tyres! I spoke with him today on the phone and he advised that the timing belt and tensioners were done at 60k miles but what date this was I don't know. He said that it needs a service soon so at least that's a bargaining point. The only fault with the car is that the drivers electric mirror doesn't work - nothing major I shouldn't think unless anyone can tell me different?

I was interested to know what you all though of high mileage, well cared for ones too. Labinjohs is Nuvola Blue which isn't my favourite colour but I have to say in the sunshine on Sunday it looked absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
the 2001 might have memory leather seats, and better keys, but the blue+cream colour combination is quite hard to beat...
ask the right questions, like receipts, ics codes, previous mots, probably get it checked by RAC/AA/friendly Alfa mechanic and you should be fine

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
My 2€..

....I've seen so many people pop up on here having purchased a 'bargain' 166....only to find they are back very soon with a littany of problems that need fixing.

Point I'm trying to make....unless you get very lucky and have a solid and genuine service history for a car, a cheap one invariably isn't cheap for long!

I paid top money for mine a year or so back. It's needed an exhaust since (which I knew about when I bought it). Everything works on it. That's it. No hidden service 'nasty surprises', no problems, no hassles. I feel I got value for money.

Generally, you do get what you pay for. Exceptions of course, but it's not a bad rule of thumb.

Being able to do some or all of your own work will help though, so if you don't mind the effort, something in need of SOME TLC might not be a bad deal for you...but it's a bigger risk.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
My dilema is though that the 166 Super in Labinjohs in Edinburgh is still for sale. Only problem is the very high mileage. It's done 180,000 miles but has a full and detailed service history and has had things like the clutch, many suspension components, etc done in the last 20k miles. The garage want £1995 and it needs a belt change now
£2K must be rather optimistic for something with 180,000 miles on it and in need of a belt & water pump! My Super has 140,000 miles on it and a fsh from new, including recent belts & pump, but I would expect under £1500 from a sale.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I would walk away from the high mileage car mate. At the end of the day, the car is in it's twilight years and I would say would only be worth a grand of anyone's money - especially if it needs a new cambelt. Be patient, sell your BMW privately and a nice 3.0 Super will present itself. I had to wait ages for a nice one to come up but it was well worth the wait as many people have said it's the nicest one they've seen. Good luck, don't be too hasty....

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would walk away from the high mileage car mate. At the end of the day, the car is in it's twilight years and I would say would only be worth a grand of anyone's money - especially if it needs a new cambelt. Be patient, sell your BMW privately and a nice 3.0 Super will present itself. I had to wait ages for a nice one to come up but it was well worth the wait as many people have said it's the nicest one they've seen. Good luck, don't be too hasty....
I have to agree with your advice there, but it is very hard to wait once you have the bug. but i rushed a bit to fast into my first 166 and regretted it, the second one, granted i bought it in a week, but at least i knew what to look for etc...

UM is right, a good one is worth the wait...

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I paid top whack for a low mileage with service history and haven't regreted it.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
buy a bad one and you will hate it! Buy a good one, and just project maintenance over the year, e.g if its gonna need new pads and disc easy the costs, but front pads he first month, then discs..........to just ease large bills. Suspention seems to be the biggest thing on the alfas! But when fixed can be made more enjoyable so think of it as an upgrade!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts