Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I think its more interesting that 30% fail on lighting and signalling and 12% fail on tyres - just goes to prove my point that for many peope the annual MOT is the only time their car gets any kind of examination!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Also how terribly a lot of 156s must be handling. By the time the front arms are an MOT fail, the car is handling like a rhino on crack and is an absolute menace to drive.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
The tyres failing the MOt will also be related to suspension.

Most people would look at the tyres and assume that because the visible part of the tyre had 6mm of tread that the inside edge was also ok.

Very interesting reading though, if you are thinking of buying a car as it gives a good idea of what to look for, and not just on Alfa's

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Heh, look at brera, the lions share of the failures is down to tyre wear, well done alfa for **** geometry out of the factory :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Heh, look at brera, the lions share of the failures is down to tyre wear, well done alfa for **** geometry out of the factory :thumbs:
and well done to the owners for never looking at them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Apart from daft no excuse stuff like lights the rest is down to poor maintenance of what is quite a complex car in comparison to others of that age. Any Alfa Romeo owner that thinks they can treat their car like a Ford or a Vauxhall is always going to have a shock at test time.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
I looked at some of the Ford data, and they do seem to have less failures on suspension parts, but the both the Mondeo and Focus have quite complex suspension also.

Most of the 156 problems lie with poor quality bushes IMO.

A 2001 156 is 50% worse than average for body and structure failures too which is a worry, where as a Focus is 60% better than average.

Considering most people think of Fords going rusty that did suprise me a bit.

·
Administrator
46,136 Posts
Do stats like that one not suggest that the negative ones might well be meaningless too?

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
I looked at some of the Ford data, and they do seem to have less failures on suspension parts, but the both the Mondeo and Focus have quite complex suspension also.
You also have to look at the driving style. People who drive Alfas are likely to drive "enthusiastically". Lots of people who drive Fords and Vauxhalls just drive. My mothers Vauxhall .... still on its original brake pads at 10 years old and 60K miles. The suspension on that will never wear out because it is never asked to do any work.

Yes, there are lots of people who drive Fords and Vauxhalls like maniacs, but on data like this, the legions of more sedate drivers will have a big impact.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Looking at the pure basics, it seems that the Alfa 156s are more failing more than other cars of that year.
So either the Alfas are prone to breakage, OR the owners are worse to maintain their cars than other car owners.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Looking at the pure basics, it seems that the Alfa 156s are more failing more than other cars of that year.
So either the Alfas are prone to breakage, OR the owners are worse to maintain their cars than other car owners.
Exactly. It's a mixture of both. Alfas do have their weak spots (as do all cars) and suspension just seems to be one of them.

If you factor the profile of a person buying a used 2004 156, you have a small handful of enthusiasts like ourselves, and then on the other end of a spectrum you can have someone buying a used 156 because they are as cheap as chips in comparison to other similar sized cars of similiar spec, and have not done much homework in regards to maintenance etc

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, cheap car with complex, faffy, chocolate suspension - appealing to keen drivers with short arms and deep pockets = trouble at t'mill. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts