Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Interesting read thanks :)
Are They really that bad for underbody rust? Would wax oiling stop it and what everyone using?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I had a look at other Alfas too. A year 3 months on, in all probability, the 156 is probably the rarest of the lot and the 147 will probably become more scarce than a GT in another year (early 2020).

I understand the dynamics whereby the coupes always fetch more money and become far less rare than the saloon counterparts but I think the canbus thing will make the 156 a more viable car long term unless there are improvements in repair of electronics.

Even then, the electronics will push repair cost up and the GT won't become historic for over another 20 years. Think about that as is now over 20 years since the 156 first appeared on our roads with 147 and GT just behind!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a Jaguar XJS about 15 years ago, 3.6l '89 G reg, and picked it up for about £2,800 fully loaded; leather, aircon, sportspack suspension and so on. The car was 14 years old then and prices were still going down. Now, your looking about £6-7k for a good one, more for a 4l, even more for the V12.

My GT is 13 years old and no doubt worth far less than the £2.4k I bought it for (high mileage will do that despite plenty of work done and receipts for it). Do I want to hold on to it for another 15 years to see if it goes up in price a bit? not really, it's only a diesel. If it was a V6, maybe, but god knows how many times I'd have to change the front wishbones between now and then!!!

In time it will be a classic, but I think only the V6, especially as the last Busso

Now, another XJS or maybe an XK8... :devious:

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
A colleague many years ago picked up an etype mark one for £500 when nobody wanted the rusty old things. He referred to it as “that old nail” but I reckon it’s worth a bit more now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts