Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Telegraph today, this review on the 156:
What’s good: fabulous styling. Brilliant engines. 190bhp 24v 2.5 V6 a hooligan. Three-year warranty. Gruff but grunty 136bhp 2.4JTD arrived in 1999, offering 224th ft of torque. Sport 1 spec adds carbon-fibre console, bodykit, 1Gm alloys, sports suspension and BRtz cloth trim. Sport 2 spec adds Recaro front seats. Sport 3 spec adds Momo leather. 120bhp 1.615 in UK from spring 2000. In June 2002 Alfa Romeo announced 156s with new 165bhp 2.0-litre JIS direct-injection petrol engine. The 2.4-litre 156 JTD direct-injection diesel got a power hike to 150bhp and first imports of the blisteringly fast 250bhp 3.2-litre GTA started to arrive. Awe-inspiring :D 3179cc GTA V6 pumps out a class-leading 250bhp at 6,200rpm. 115bhp 1.9JTD diesel from mid-March 2003 does 0-60 in 10 seconds and 48.7mpg.
What’s bad: sub-20mpg fuel consumption of V6 it you boot it. Usual Alfa build-quality problems with electrics. Dealers are mixed bag. Resale values fell heavily in early 2000. V6 and JDT can eat front tyres on the inside edge. Timing belts and tensioners need changing long before scheduled 72,000 miles.
What to watch out for: front suspension alignment. Problems with 156 Selespeed gearbox actuator and long wait for parts. Clonks from rear suspension mean that bolts through the aluminium suspension components have not been tightened periodically, causing wear. Headlight lenses cost £175 each to replace.
Recalls: 1999: modify rear hinge mounting on all four side doors to prevent hinges splitting from doors. 2000: 156s, built Nov 1997-Oct
1998, brake pipe connector may crack and leak. September 2002:
TSB issued to change timing belts and tensioners at 36,000 miles rather than 72,000 miles. 2002:
metal brake pipe between master cylinder and ABS unit may chafe on a cable bracket: 256 cars affected

Sounds fair, but in my GT handbook the 156 and 147GTA engines, and the GT3.2 quote a change of the timing belt at 72,000 miles unless the car is used in town or in very dusty atmospheres.

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
No, he's spot on about that. The manuals do say 72,000 miles, but as he says:
Timing belts and tensioners need changing long before scheduled 72,000 miles.

Having said that, I thought this only applied to the TS engines, not the V6's or, presumably, the diesels or the JTS.

W

·
0 Posts
Frazpas said:
Sounds fair, but in my GT handbook the 156 and 147GTA engines, and the GT3.2 quote a change of the timing belt at 72,000 miles unless the car is used in town or in very dusty atmospheres.
I realise you haven't been around long but as every second post here is about the 36k belt change........ ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
opps :eek: I thought that the cambelt was an issue on the 2 litre engines. I had a Fiat 20vt Coupe before and the cambelt on that was due at 72,000 miles but most were people played safe and changed at 60,000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfaowner said:
Play safe, doesnt hurt!
Hmm, £600 or so for the cambelt. Not sure about that. Obviously its better than the consequences of the belt going, but frankly i think its pretty poor that a car should need this basic part changing so early. Seems like bad engineering to me. :mad:

W

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure it's bad engineering...there are apparantly other manufacturers experiencing the same kind of problems. Perhaps more likely is the added stress placed on modern engines....dunno :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrinx said:
I'm not sure it's bad engineering...there are apparantly other manufacturers experiencing the same kind of problems. Perhaps more likely is the added stress placed on modern engines....dunno :rolleyes:

wrinx
"Modern" not sure about that I think the V6 has been around a fair while- stress? bhp per litre is quite low. 75 bhp per litre compared with 110 bhp per litre in the Fiat Coupe 20vt I had before- that was safe at 60,000 miles with its cambelt and ancillaries. I think I will extend my warranty to 4 years 48,000 miles by which time I will have to change the car (company policy) so if it fails in that time it will be a warranty claim. It makes me :mad: that an engine capable of 200,000 miles should have ancillaries that are apparently so fragile.
My last Alfa 164 v6 (which i had for 100,000 trouble free miles) had a chain driven cam, I believe, so the move to a rubber belt is a backwards step.

W

·
0 Posts
Errr, I was actually referring ot the 16v engines. V6's aren't as prone to cambelt issues but one or two of the 24v have had problems.

However, your comment about rubber being a backward step is fairly common round here and you'll get some allies....manufacturers are going back to chains.

wrinx

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
wrinx said:
Errr, I was actually referring ot the 16v engines. V6's aren't as prone to cambelt issues but one or two of the 24v have had problems.

However, your comment about rubber being a backward step is fairly common round here and you'll get some allies....manufacturers are going back to chains.

wrinx
But even chains break or jump off the spockets ;) :eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Frazpas said:
My last Alfa 164 v6 (which i had for 100,000 trouble free miles) had a chain driven cam, I believe, so the move to a rubber belt is a backwards step.
You had a really unique engine in your 164 :eek: :rolleyes: Alfa V6 has never had a chain driven timing gear. Belt was used already in the early Alfa 6 engine.

W

·
0 Posts
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: Missed that bit....like I said earlier, it's really the 16v and occassional 24v that have grief ;)

....good old 12v V6 ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Frazpas said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - this is what I was asking about on another thread.

This is the same info I gathered - the TS (and I guess from the above, the JTS as well?????) are the culprits of belt killing.

The v6 recommendations haven't changed - 72k SHOULD be Ok.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It SHOULD be, but unfortunately my V6 24v QV belt went on the last owner. He changed it at 72,000 then it went at 100,000, he had a 2.5k head rebuild and sold it to me at 105k miles.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
badgers_nadgers said:
It SHOULD be, but unfortunately my V6 24v QV belt went on the last owner. He changed it at 72,000 then it went at 100,000, he had a 2.5k head rebuild and sold it to me at 105k miles.
So even 36k is optimistic :confused:

·
Administrator
46,381 Posts
badgers_nadgers said:
Sounds like a misfitted belt?
Or perhaps they only did the main belt, not tensioners etc.?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Haven't fully looked at the bills to be honest. It would be interesting to know what went wrong, the guy took great care of it, so I'd be surprised if he didn't have it done properly by a decent outfit.

I guess it's just bad luck. Most people don't seem to have much trouble with the V6, although the QV is quite complex.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts