Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Honda Civic Type R

5K views 96 replies 9 participants last post by  Toad 
#1 ·
Anyone who saw Top Gear last night what did you think of the review. I've got to say for the money the performance looks great ......shame it looks like turds.

I wish the 147 had been in there but I don't consider it a 'Hot Hatch' anyway, it's far more classy than that.

Having seen the estimated price of the 156 GTA I'm a bit worried about what the price will be for the 147 GTA. £15.000 for the Type R is pretty impressive (I know, I know it isn't the same quality and looks crap but....).

What do you reckon the 147 GTA will come in at? Can't see how they will keep it below £20,000 myself which may well price it out of the Market for non Alfisti.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Hey! at the end of this month my new 147 selespeed is going to be delivered. I am fully awaired of the problems that may occur regarding the transmission and electrics that is why I posted a whole new poll about selespeed reliability but you know I wanted a hot hatch and I had to choose in between the germans and the type-r and the ALFA147. After the test drive of the ALFA the dealer didnt have to work a lot to get my signature.
It is widerly known now that the civic type-r is the most potent hot hatch that you can currently buy. It has a manic engine excellent transmision , bulletproof japanese quality built in my country Greece honda gives 7 years warranty that says it all! and road manners of at least a low spec racing car .OK but it's got the looks of an MPV I mean it looks like a SCENIC I think every car owner wants to be thrilled with the looks of his car and in this class there isnt anything prettier than the 147. It is very classy and for the money I know that honda is cheaper , you get many options in the 147 that will make your life easier in the car and in the honda you only get only sports seats so forget the ALFA gadgets. The 147 has crisp handling and a real firecracker of an engine that pulls and revs positively enough to make you happy and that brass sound I personally love it! tha car is also very soulfull and its got real sensational character and styling its a headturner for sure. I wouldnt buy a car that didnt like the honda is a complete different story it real depends how you like having your thrills anyway! if you want something eadgy and totally raw and manic I reckon you should opt for the type-r if you like something rapid, classy, elegant well equiped and also crisp handling you shouls then go for the ALFA, BUT! if someone buys an MPV I reckon the OPEL ZAFIRA OPC it is almost equally fast, boasts 190bhp and for an MPV its ROOMIER! you know what I mean ooo please dont mind revving the civics nuts of it needs to be thrashed, japanese revving madness! dont like that personally. I think the 147GTA will have all the ALFA elements combined with huge performance. If someone fids it pricey in october the 147 will get the new 2 litre JTS direct injection engine with 170bhp, anyway I think that will be enough.

#4 ·
Theres nothing to touch the civic type R and indeed the accord type R. They both look a bit naff but they have blistering performance and utterly superior handling, far ahead of any fwd competitors. And they are cheap. But Id never have either, they look awful IMO. Still cant get my head around the £28k tag for a 156 GTA. It doesnt even crack sub 6 secs in a 0-60 dash. I know alfas are not about outright performance but for that price, they should be!

#5 ·
Aisha,Does it really matter if it doesn`t break the 6 sec barrier.Lets face it neither does the 3.0 litre GTV.But as you should know,with a gorgeous Alfa V6 under the bonnet,who cares about the 0.3 sec to 60.
I bet its real world performance is much greater and I wouldn`t mind betting that figure`s a bit conservative.What I would really like to see is the 0-100 times.I remember Autocar timing an Imprezza turbo and Fiat 20V turbo.The Fiat was slower to 60 but that was mainly downn to the Imprezza having superior traction off the line.The Fiat hit 100 in 14 secs,comfortably ahead of the Imprezza.
Just think how much nicer the GTA will sound compared to the Jap cars and how usable a big 3.2 litre V6 will be compared to a turbo 4.
Leave the sad Scooby and Evo fans to quibble about 0-60 times!

#8 ·
I see your point Pete but the very fact thats its £28k means, in my books, you should be getting blistering performance. Yes, nice sound, plenty of torque and great style but Id care about peformance at that price because other cars in that range could lamp the 156 GTA. The Accord Type R, if Im not mistaken, would run rings around the 156 GTA and its comes in sub £20k. The gtv v6 comes in at 16 secs up to 100mph, Im sure the GTA will be almost the same. The extra power from the 3.2 will be offset by the extra weight of the 156, relative to the power to weight ratio of the gtv.
Dont get me wrong about the GTA, I think its a fabulous car but I think Alfa are asking too much for it. It is a limited run of course.
Its got almost the same performance as the GTV V6 and a almost new gtv v6 can be had for £17k. BTW Pete, I sent you a pm, did you get it?

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I agree with you all looks, class and finish wise the Alfa wins outright it is the most beautiful Hatchback on the market and I wont be changing my mind beacause of 0-60 times although, YES the GTA needs to be **** HOT quick to justify a price tag like that.

My heart will rule my head and my balls and my choice is still 147 all the way.

Funny how two guys at work today said they thought the Type-R was beautiful and belive me these are not boy racers I'm talking about. Strange isn't it.

Interesting to hear about the 2.0 JTS coming in on the 147. That's the first I've heard. Should I hold off for a while? Also with the Car market about to be shook up in the UK it looks like waiting a few months could be wise. But GOD DAMN I WANT ONE NOW.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Aisha:[QB]I see your point Pete but the very fact thats its £28k means, in my books, you should be getting blistering performance. Yes, nice sound, plenty of torque and great style but Id care about peformance at that price because other cars in that range could lamp the 156 GTA. The Accord Type R, if Im not mistaken, would run rings around the 156 GTA and its comes in sub £20k. The gtv v6 comes in at 16 secs up to 100mph, Im sure the GTA will be almost the same. The extra power from the 3.2 will be offset by the extra weight of the 156, relative to the power to weight ratio of the gtv.
Dont get me wrong about the GTA, I think its a fabulous car but I think Alfa are asking too much for it. It is a limited run of course.
Its got almost the same performance as the GTV V6 and a almost new gtv v6 can be had for £17k. BTW Pete, I sent you a pm, did you get it?[/QB]
Aisha,Did`nt get the PM.Had a few problems logging in after the server change,could have lost it?
Cheers Pete

#11 ·
Okay I'll send you one again. I was hoping you'd take the bait and lash into me for my comments on the GTA! Come on then, convince me the GTA is the only car I should have.
I think its a looker but its no go-er! I rather take £28k and buy a used 911. £28 for a 156??? Thats the most expensive 156 yet and I dont think Alfa should be charging that kind of money for a jumped up 156.

(We need a lively debate on here, its a bit quite of late)

#12 ·
Aisha,BTW weight of 156 GTA according to Autocar is 1410kg,power 247bhp.GTV 3.0 litre,1404kg,220bhp.So if your GTV gets to 100mph in 16 secs I reckon the 156GTA is going to be in the low 15s or high 14s.
Maybe I`ll wait a few years until I can get one for about £17k.Trouble is with only 400 rhd being built,I guess the prices are going to hold up!

#14 ·
Originally posted by Aisha:[QB]Okay I'll send you one again. I was hoping you'd take the bait and lash into me for my comments on the GTA! Come on then, convince me the GTA is the only car I should have.
I think its a looker but its no go-er! I rather take £28k and buy a used 911. £28 for a 156??? Thats the most expensive 156 yet and I dont think Alfa should be charging that kind of money for a jumped up 156.

(We need a lively debate on here, its a bit quite of late)[/QB]
Compare with similar new cars and I don`t think the price is bad.Eg 330i,S60T5,IS300,x type 3.0,Audi A4 Quattro.Plus its rarer,sexier and faster than most of those listed and has more equipment.(I`m not including those ugly Jap Evos and Scoobies in my argument!)
But if you really want performance per pound forget the £28k 911 (probably ghoing to be a 993 for that money) and get a 2nd hand Cerbera for £20k!I love them!Now that could be my perfect 2 car line up,a 156GTA Sportwagon for weekdays and aCerbera for the weekend.Anyone lend me £50k?

G
#15 ·
don,t get to carried away boys.The STI7 is 26k and by alla ccounts is a blistering drivers car.I know you all love Alfas but that car has charcter by the bucket load as well!

Thers badge loyalty and theres choosing the best drivers car.I think The 156GTA will have to go some to beat the STI7

G
#18 ·
Aisha going back to your earlier comment about the extra weight of the 156, if you look in the back of the Alfa catalouge's the 2.0 GTV is actually heavier than the equvilent 156. Don't know how this compare's between the GTA and GTV V6 but i'd guess it's a similar story.

I do however agree with you on the pricing, 28k for a fwd car is way to expensive in my book's.

Personally i think alfa should build a 147 2.0 V6 turbo with 4wd, they already have the technology to do it as the GTV is available as a 2.0 turbo in Italy, imangine the rev's you could get out of a V6 with internal's that light and small, a 9,000 rev limit should do it and about 300bhp is not unrealistic, then they could go truly head to head with the Scooby's and Evo's of this world.

Lastly, Dave not so sure about your comment's on the Scooby and Evo, yes they're quick and yes they handle well but when talking to friend he told me how he had trouble keeping his eye's open at the wheel.
The problem with these car's is that they're too good and they take the fun out of driving, they might be exciting to those people that are used to driving boring German stuff, but to most people who have driven an Italian car they're just an inferior mean's of transport.

G
#19 ·
Just one question hopefully liven it up for you Aisha old mate!

Why is it that so many so called Alfisti/Italian car lovers who understand their unique attributes suddenly jump ship at the nearest port as soon as large sums of money are mentioned?

Not wishing to single anyone out as I've read this many a time here (alright Pete how is one?)But it does annoy those of us who are true to the game regardless of lottery win prospects being considered.

Just for the record you can ram your Ferrari's/Skyline's/911's and anything else, except may be an Integrale and most will forgive me that slight deviation.

When did value for money with Alfa depreciation ever be a realistic consideration for purchasing either????

The culprits amongst you and you know who you are, come and have a go if you think your hard enough!!

MAK

164 Super

100% Alfisti

#21 ·
Originally posted by makaveli:[QB]Just one question hopefully liven it up for you Aisha old mate!

Why is it that so many so called Alfisti/Italian car lovers who understand their unique attributes suddenly jump ship at the nearest port as soon as large sums of money are mentioned?

Not wishing to single anyone out as I've read this many a time here (alright Pete how is one?)But it does annoy those of us who are true to the game regardless of lottery win prospects being considered.

Just for the record you can ram your Ferrari's/Skyline's/911's and anything else, except may be an Integrale and most will forgive me that slight deviation.

When did value for money with Alfa depreciation ever be a realistic consideration for purchasing either????

The culprits amongst you and you know who you are, come and have a go if you think your hard enough!!

MAK

164 Super

100% Alfisti[/QB]
Mak I am an Alfa enthusiast,but am enthusiastic about many cars also.IMO Alfa are unbeatable in their class but until they bring out a supercar to rival the Lamborghini Murcielago ,I will have to look elsewhere to spend my Lottery win!
Anyway,cars are like women ,they can be beautiful for different reasons,to different people.Its like trying to chose between Cameron Diaz and Kylie Minogue.Both are beautiful but just be thankful they both exist!
BTW Glad to see you back from your winter hibernation,been anywhere nice?

#22 ·
Ah now you see mak, you've nailed it on the head for me. I love alfas for two reasons- they are excellent performance cars at a price that suits me. However, if my financial situation was to change , they would not be my first choice. Id buy a Ferrari 550 or a Porsche GT3 or a Lambo. And why wouldnt I?
Alfas are not perfect cars yet, they have a long way to go in some areas. I think right now, £28k is too much in my books for a 156. That doesnt make me a fair weather alfa owner. I think Im actually being realistic.

But it does annoy those of us who are true to the game regardless of lottery win prospects being considered.
IMO, alfa romeos are not a gift from the gods. They are fantastic cars and a lot of fun and dont cost the earth, thats why I love them. But there are some cars out there that are positively amazing , far far ahead of alfas (Im talking exotic cars here), if I had the means, I buy one like a shot, you only live once!

#23 ·
I have to say I agree with all MAK says. And it doesn't only extend to large sums of money. Some people are saying that £28k is a lot of money for the GTA...well if i had that sort of cash to spend on one new car this would be it.
To be really controversial, i wonder how many current 147/156 drivers bought their cars for -
a. its a good car in its own right (understandable)
b. because Alfas are now deemed (dare i say) fashionable.

When the next 'big' thing comes along, how many will indeed jump ship ? I know of one such individual who changed his 156 for an Audi A2 !!

I'm not saying Alfa's are the best cars on the planet, and there are plenty of others which i truly admire. And if i had a lottery win i would still have Alfa(s), alongside several others.
Just purely out of curiosity, lets go back in time, say to 1995...how many people here drove Alfa's then?

I know these might be considered controversial statements, but none of it is personal and as Aisha requested, it might stir up a lively debate

#24 ·
I agree Steve P. We've all be chatting on here for some time now. But how do we really feel about alfas, in all honesty?

Me, I love them, I think they are beautiful cars, they sound great and they driver great. But they are far from perfect, they fall down in many ways, and they give problems. But dont slam me for it, I drive two of them and have had four. I just think when you start spending serious money on a car, an alfa (any alfa) is not a worthy choice YET. When they bolt the cars together better and make them more reliable and yes, stick in rwd or more likely 4wd, then they become worthwhile. I think alfa are 80% there, and Im happy to say they are getting better and better.

#26 ·
Am I? ****. Dont know why? Sometimes I love alfas but I got about 10 outstanding probs on my two alfas and Im not a happy bunny. And the weather is crap so I cant cane the gtv. And I was in a mates 911 3.8 special improt yesterday and I nearly soiled myself it was so fast but man was it fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.