Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Test rode one of these today, not as a replacement for the Ducati (which I'l keep forever) but as my main bike.

I found it to be *ludicrously* fast and powerful, more so than any bike I've ever riden.

I'm looking at a used one (2008) and would welcome any advice or observations about this particular model. It gets good reviews in the usual mags, but then so do all the other Jap machines blah blah blah.

My initial feelings are that it's superb, and I want it. A lot.

So - anyone got one?

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
You know you want it, just get it, flippin fantastic,
I had an early model which was brilliant, best bike i ever had,
my friend has a new model, i blagged a brief spin,WOW!!!!!!!!:eek: :cool:

V

·
0 Posts
ive never liked the honda's

id much prefer an R1 have you tested one of those?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
New sportsbikes are all brilliant, I'd just chose the one I like the looks of most and buy it, nobody can ride them to their limits anyway. The new 10r's are horrible though :mad:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New sportsbikes are all brilliant, I'd just chose the one I like the looks of most and buy it, nobody can ride them to their limits anyway. The new 10r's are horrible though :mad:

That's pretty much what I've done. I really like the looks and importantly, the induction noise - they sound great (for a 4-pot).

There's little to choose betwen the offerings of the 'big 4' so I'm after some 'real' opinion.

:)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
That's pretty much what I've done. I really like the looks and importantly, the induction noise - they sound great (for a 4-pot).

There's little to choose betwen the offerings of the 'big 4' so I'm after some 'real' opinion.

:)
There are a few issues with them ('blades) burning oil and sumps rotting though. I'll get you a link now

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done a little research, but the 08 model was all new with a new engine and body. TBH, I've searched the net to death and haven't found much bad said about it. Unless I hear otherwise in the next few days, I'm going to go for it.

Saying that, the wife is deeply displeased.

cheers for the link

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You lucky so and so's, I haven't ridden a bike for twenty years, and still yearn for one. A mate of mine has a little collection - Velocette Viper, Ducati 748 and Honda Mike Hailwood replica, and I have to have a sit on the Ducati when I go over there, lovely sound with the naughty exhausts.

H

·
0 Posts
I respect sportsbikes immensely, but they don't float my boat particularly (with the exception of Triumph's Daytona 675)

I prefer naked bikes. Most of the fun stuff about sportsbikes, with added attitude and less power ranger-esque.

Having said that, anyone who buys a sportbike that isn't a GSX-R deserves credit in my opinion, it's nice to see people using their head for a change, rather than buying the most popular bike, just because every other sucka has one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
A VERY VERY special bike. :wow:
Used to see a few of them around back in the eighties, but the only one I have seen in years, resides in my mate's shed.
Other bikes which were very special IMO - Ducati 250 Desmo, Laverda Jota, any MV Agusta. What a surprise, they are all Italian.:lol:
I wish that I still owned my Triumph Bonneville T140V, it would be worth something now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I go with one of the previous posters, buy an R1

Saying that, I have owned a Blackbird, Mille, Fazer 1000 (with mods to R1 power) and now have a Buell Ulysses

The Buell makes me grin more than any other bike I have owned, and its also quicker round corners than most sportsbikes

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Unless you're taller than average a 600RR will get you there faster...
and I agree with 10,500rpm. Nobody can ride them to their limits anyway, and when you're getting even close your nuts...
Try an MV Augusta or a Laverda Jota.
Buell's are nicely engineered, but a Harley engine as a base... I wonder - Happily no-one ever rides them to the limit, or they didn't say!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a few 600's and this time, I fancy something with a smoother low-down power delivery (hence a 1000cc-er), it's got to be a fully-faired sportsbike and finally, it's got to be a 4-pot since I already have a big Italian V-twin.

I found the R1 quite cramped, certainly less room thn the RR.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unless you're taller than average a 600RR will get you there faster...
and I agree with 10,500rpm. Nobody can ride them to their limits anyway, and when you're getting even close your nuts...
Try an MV Augusta or a Laverda Jota.
Buell's are nicely engineered, but a Harley engine as a base... I wonder - Happily no-one ever rides them to the limit, or they didn't say!
If you ride anything "to the limit" that is over 600cc, I give you 25 miles before you are dead or in jail:tut:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts