Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
seeing as injector cleaners have been mentioned on here before, I decided to see (via the internet for ingredients) if I could make my own.
I work in a lab and already make my own octane booster so I figured I could make my own injector cleaner.

What I discovered was YES, I can with the stuff in my lab, but even more interesting was that a lot of the "Top Name" cleaners contain 80% to 90% Kerosene, or Paraffin to most of us. The rest is generally made up of other organic solvents, one being Acetone (nail varnish remover !!!), and ketones which smell nice.

Sorry if this is getting too techy, but it means rather than spend £5 a time on 250ml of cleaner from Halfrauds, buy a gallon of paraffin for pennies (in comparison) and add a 250ml (half a pint) dose every 3000 miles (as recommended for the cleaners). I'm gonna add some of the missing ingredients myself, but the main cleaner is the paraffin.

On a similair note, octane booster with cleaner also contains paraffin as the cleaner.

Hope this is useful and I'll let you know if I blow my car up !!!

Marlon

PS. used some of my octane booster at the RR sesh in York. Seemed to work.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about aviation fuel, isnt that superhigh octane parafin?
Might work?
BTW whats the worst that could happen?
FGN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys, put in my 250mL of paraffin last night and have done 130miles on the motorway today.
No BANG, pops or farts !!!
The flat spot at about 1500rpm has gone and the car ticks over and revs much more smoothly.
I'll be doing it again in a couple of months so I'll let you know waht happens then.
Oh yeah, cost me £1.49 for a litre of the stuff from my local petrol station.

Companies rely on people being scared of the stuff and not being able to discover what the ingredients are.
Unfortunately for them, by law they have to make MSDS's (Material Safety Data Sheets) available to users, therefore, you have a list of the ingredients :D .
I also make my own screenwash with a lab glassware cleaner and Isopropyl Alcohol (which is what gives screenwash it's distinctive smell).

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, warts, corns, and other ailments can all be treated by my special "Elixer of Life".
It even cures erection problems and improves your love life, just rub it on.......

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim, I use Toluene mostly. That is the main ingredient in most Octane Boosters. I also add a little bit of Methyl-Tertiary Butyl Ether which helps trap oxygen and further aid the burning of the fuel.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aren't our cars marvellous, that you can put all sorts of **** in the tank and they still run smoothly, let alone at all?

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I might try this tonight - but will naturally be holding Marlon personally responsibe for any undesirable side-effects/explosions eek!

I assume we're talking about 250ml of Paraffin on top of a full tank of fresh fuel (presume Optimax OK?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marlon..

can you cook up some Spanish Fly type liquid...having a party next week, thought it might be fun to see the ladies, get naked..ha ha ha ha ha... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bw, Yeah, I had a full tank of Optimax and 250mL of paraffin.
There shouldn't be any undesirable affects eek!
Even if the "cleaner" didn't work. 250mL in 10-11 gallons of fuel won't hinder the running of the engine.
Nothing a complete rebuild wouldn't cure anyway eek! wink

Did a bit more checking and some cleaners contain the same ingredients as octane boosters.
The most common ingredients are: Toluene (octane booster), Xylene (octane booster and cleaner), Paraffin (cleaner) and some other solvents in small amounts. Basically organic solvents (like xylene,toluene and acetone) will remove oil/tar stuff. The cleaning effect varies from solvent to solvent. Pariffin is a kinda cleaner/lubricator.

Good luck and I think for me it's "time to leave the country....."

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL

I think it's too early to really tell - I've only done 5 miles since putting the stuff in, but it does feel slightly smoother. Will update if anything happens (good or bad!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting
We produce tanker loads of crude benzole at work as a by-product. It is mainly benzene with toluene & xylene. Seemingly years ago people ran their cars(illegally) on it. By all accounts it was a bit smokey if you used it neat but mixed 50/50 with petrol it was OK wink

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.