Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested to see the taste of my fellow Alfa drivers. ;)

My toys are:

Dynaudio 52's Speakers
Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp
Rotel RCD-1070 CD Player
QED Qunex Silver Spiral interconnect
Merlin C12 Speaker Cable
Atacama Stands

Had to sell my dedicated rack. Missus hated it. Booooh :rant:

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
Nowt flash. I have a Technics SA-CH550 Mini System. Bought it 12 years ago and it's never missed a beat. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Roswell said:
Nowt flash. I have a Technics SA-CH550 Mini System. Bought it 12 years ago and it's never missed a beat. :)
I have a similar SA-CH700 Ros' and that too hasn't missed a beat...sounds great too.....and I have the tv/dvd/sky box all wired up thru an amp & some reasonable Sony speakers for when there's a film on with a good soundtrack...play the stereo more than the telly tho :)

·
Super Moderator
44,946 Posts
At the moment got a broken Aiwa mini system, but will soon be investing in:

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Amp
Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers

Just waiting for the version 2 amp to come out, since the version 2 CD player (which came out last month) is apparently noticeably better than the v1. Not sure about the interconnects and speaker cable to use yet.

S

·
0 Posts
Thank you! Kind of gets you out of the 'must upgrade' syndrome. Had it for 10 years!

·
Registered
143 Posts
mikeruss said:
Interested to see the taste of my fellow Alfa drivers. ;)

My toys are:

Dynaudio 52's Speakers
Roksan Kandy MKIII Amp
Rotel RCD-1070 CD Player
QED Qunex Silver Spiral interconnect
Merlin C12 Speaker Cable
Atacama Stands

Had to sell my dedicated rack. Missus hated it. Booooh :rant:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see a Hi-Fi based thread :)
I have, a Pioneer PD-73, (old now i suppose but i haven't heard anything to top it as a transport).
A Nakamichi DAC-101 (In-car D/A converter but i use it at home!), again old (16 bit 8 times oversampling) but i've not heard anything that sounds as good.
A Pioneer PDR-04 CD recorder.
My own built valve amp, own built turntable and valve EQ amp.
An Acoustic Solutions Dab tuner, Sony mini-disc.
For my films, own built mono blocks for the front channels, own built stereo amp for the rear channels, Denon AVD-2000 Dolby Digital decoder, own built stereo pre-amp for the front channels, a Pioneer DVL-909 combi DVD/ Laserdisc player, Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD recorder, Cyberhome DVD player.
My speakers are Rega Ela's, the mark 1's, i have four of these, two fronts, two rears, a Magnat centre channel speaker and a home built subwoofer.
All this sits on Optimum stands.
I am an audio repair engineer so have got most of my kit cheaply! I do spend a lot of time listening to music and my taste is quite varied. From Beethoven to Bob Dylan via Kate Rusby and the Clash!
I do plan to upgrade my Hi-Fi in the 147 as soon as funds apply! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Some old Kenwood components and Wharfedale speakers - can't remember what stands or cables as I've had it for ages.

Just recently linked it up to an old laptop which I'm using to wirelessly play all my MP3's from my desktop - sounds not too bad once you apply DFX Audio Enhancement with Winamp

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
percival007: Tell me more about building your own gear.

Where do you get your parts?
Is it much cheaper than buying complete components?
Are there forums etc on the web to get more info?
Without having the sound pressure equipment etc how do you tune the sound? Do you build and hope for the best? I'm sure it's not that simple :D
Do you have piccies?

I'd love to build my own.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
NAD 5120 turntable
Arcam CD82 CD player
Arcam 8R amplifier as a preamp and driving the tweeters
Quad 303 BBC spec driving the woofers
Wharfedale Force 3180 rewired by me to be bi-ampable
No make stands
Cheap wooden hifi stand
Gale hyperlatz 250 speaker cable
Ixos 101/various interconnects

Also have a Garrard 301 deck, Rega RB250 arm and Ortofon OMB5E cartridge just begging for a plinth.

Am totally let down by the acoustic quality of the room i'm in though so hardly listen to my hifi at the mo. Lucky i only rent innit :D

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
A Kenwood seperates system which i've had for 15 years and still going strong with KEF coda speakers due to the size of the room, it still sounds pretty good when i actually get chance to play anything on it, shan't be upgrading untill it dies completely, to be honest i listen more to planet rock on my little panasonic digital radio, and of course in the car, when the rattles begin to annoy me more than the engine sound pleases me :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I get most parts from Maplin Electronics, they're on most high streets and on the web, also Radio Spares are good, www.rswww.com i think, i also use CPC (combined precision components), they're on the web.
It can be cheaper, financially, but you've got to factor in the time, especially if you intend on selling them.
I'm sure there are forums available but i'm not a member of any.
Being in the business i have access to all the test equipment i need. Basically you are aiming for as flat a frequency response as possible, as quiet as possible (signal to noise ratio), but i allways think that if it sounds right to you, then it is good.
Any further help let me know and i'll do my best.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Nice block percival :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Nothing special, just an old and reliable Sony lbt d505.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts