Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a new thermostat fitted to my 2002 2.0 156. I was had gone a short run to check the coolant lvl when i noticed that tere seemed to be a thin vapour escaping from the dip stick hole. So i pulled the dip stick out only to find it giving of smoke/steam and the same vapour was also coming from the dip stick hole? :eek:

Now i'm no car expert but i'm fairly sure this isn't meeant to happen.

Any ideas? knowing my luck its something big :lol:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
it's why your car is fitted with a carter ventilation... if your car is running hotter now, the moisture from condensation in your oil evaporates more quickly now.. how cool was your car running before?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's why your car is fitted with a carter ventilation... if your car is running hotter now, the moisture from condensation in your oil evaporates more quickly now.. how cool was your car running before?
The car was sitting around 50 - 70 degrees with motorway running and 115 in traffic. Currentl runs 90 motorway and 90 - 115 in taffic:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
isnt 115 a bit high? My 2.0 engine runs at 90 when moving and 91 in traffic

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
isnt 115 a bit high? My 2.0 engine runs at 90 when moving and 91 in traffic
I been thinking the same, but i've read a few people on here have had to give it time until it started working correctly. So this weekend i'll take her a nice long run someplace and see what's what :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
115 seems high, can you see the condition of your radiator? this could be causing excessive heat in the oil aswell...
I've checked the radiator for signs of corrosion and it looks ok. But if the temp continues to peak i'll get a garage to replace it, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Does it gradually rise to 115 or suddenly jump?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Did they change the temp sender? Not normally part of the thermostat when you buy buy it.

Also, lloks can be deceiving on the rads.

Run the back of your nail along the fins. If they crumble, change the rad immediately.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did they change the temp sender? Not normally part of the thermostat when you buy buy it.

Also, lloks can be deceiving on the rads.

Run the back of your nail along the fins. If they crumble, change the rad immediately.
No crumbling on the areas i've tried.:thumbs:

Does it gradually rise to 115 or suddenly jump?
The temp rises to 115, but quickly (did that make sense:confused:)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm wondering if you have an airlock in your system

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Should do but sometimes they dont, or not for me anyway

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help :thumbs:.

One last question, the coolant and coolant bottle are both scorchingly hot, this ok?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Sounds like you have the same symptoms as I had just before my rad blew a leak. I couldnt see any evidence of corrosion either until I took the rad out. It was on the engine side of the rad right at the bottom where I couldnt really see anyway. Fitted new rad (pretty straight forward) myself over two evenings - temp rarely rises above 50/60 on a run or over 75 in a traffic jam!

As for your original query around the smoke/steam from the dip stick. mine does this slightly after a long run - that said I know mine is burning some oil - roughly 1/2 ltr per 500-750 miles so I check and top up every 500 ish miles.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
if you check your oil right after a drive it will be hot and there will be vapour coming out the dipstick hole. its entirely normal, unless there is absolutely loads of steam coming out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts