Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

just wanted to ask about using holts exhaust Gum....

Been having problems with a bit of gas leakage out of the exhaust, mainly where downpipe meets the Catalytic converter, and where the intimediate section meets the rear silencer.

Replaced the Downpipe last year due to split Flexi section, it sounded great! like an old Ferrari when it went, Anyway...

Since replacement i have been hearing a 'Tinking' noise, kinda like a metallic exhaust rattle sound, so i took apart the sections, and saw black carbon soot where it had been leaking.

So, i cleaned up mating surfaces and used Holtz Gum on joints to seal. Since i did this, my Bella has more torque at low RPM now, but the metallic 'Tinking' noise is still there.

Calling out to all Alfaholics for any advice,

Much appreciated, Chris

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
The tinkling sound is usually a symptom of the flexi section, but strange if you've had yours replaced! Have you checked all brackets are intact?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi amfalconer,

Yes i bought the section from motor parts direct :rolleyes: yeah i know, but i had to get it replaced quick. but its a Bosal exhaust which is wierd, you recommend replacing again? they sell cut & weld flexi sections.

i had to weld the bracket back on the intimediate section as water leakage from rear silencer joint was leaking, running allong to bracket and rusted off.

the bracket that holds the downpipe is ok, all rubber hangers are ok, but i cant tell where the 'Tinking' noise is coming from! :mad:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to say...

I noticed the bracket from the engine block to the Manifold had cracked allong where the bolt is welded to the bracket, looked like it had been causing friction due to movement. anyway, i took this off and its on my to do list to get welded and put back on,

has anyone else had this noise from their exhausts before?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Bosal aren't too bad, they're the mainstay of the kwikfit branches and shouldn't fail quickly anyway, might be a duff one from new?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah maybe, new parts supplied have been known to be faulty. when i was moving the Flexi section by hand today it sounded a bit 'scrapey' as the corrugated Flexi section is underneath the braiding.

You rekon the noise is definitely a crack of some sort in the flexi section?... got MOT next week, see what they say i guess...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
It's a common symptom, any guarantee anything, no sooty marks from the area?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah its got bout 6 or 12 months guarantee, still got receipt, no theres no black carbon soot on the braided bit, struggling to find where the noise is coming from, i can only notice it when im driving past a wall when it echoes back, but its always been there since i replaced the exhaust :(

·
Registered
30,290 Posts
...I noticed the bracket from the engine block to the Manifold had cracked allong where the bolt is welded to the bracket, looked like it had been causing friction due to movement. anyway, i took this off and its on my to do list to get welded and put back on
I wouldn't bother, it will only fail again.

I took mine off 9-years ago...!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi davealfa11,

do you mean the manifold heat shield? i removed that for a period of time, and no difference, do you mean the chassis heat shields? that run the length of the car?

Ta

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi David C,

i was thinking of leaving it off, but if i get it welded, wouldn't that be stronger than bare steel?

only reason why welding and refitting is because of exhaust movement, i don't want anything to move too much and split...

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Many thanks davealfa11, you've given me hope now! i will inspect tomorrow,

any suggestions to quieten these heat shields down? all i can think of is speed tape, the aluminium heat type tape?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,290 Posts
Hi David C,

i was thinking of leaving it off, but if i get it welded, wouldn't that be stronger than bare steel?

only reason why welding and refitting is because of exhaust movement, i don't want anything to move too much and split...
I think it fails because of movement as the downpipe expands & contracts.
I've had no problems since removing it and it still has its original downpipe it left the factory with in 1999.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts