Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen this before, or can anyone explain this gaping, jagged hole in the side of my gearbox ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Can't make out what angle that photo's from, but on the Twinspark 5-speed gearboxes there's a rectangular hole on the top with a rubber grommet in it (don't think the finish on this hole is perfectly straight/smooth either) - I presume this is a clutch inspection hole.

Come to think of it I've never actually had a nose at my V6 6-speed box but perhaps this is the same thing?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The photo is taken with the battery tray out (trying to rectify the sticking gear stick problem, no luck though).

There is a rubber grommet on top of the bellhousing, I'm guessing that is for a breather or something, but this jagged hole is beyond me. Surely all the spray off the road will get in there won't it? In the right of the picture is the slave cylinder, it's just below that.

...There's also nothing on Eper to suggest that there should be something there!

Attachments

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
They used to often show a crack or two with age, some marques that is, so we drilled a wee hole top and bottom, to stop it spreading. Not particularly strong material, but light weight, and most of the time does its job I guess?:): The rubber plug was on most motors, for ignition timing access, in the days of the swamps.:):

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks mate, quite agree, but what does concern me is where the piece of metal has gone, I can't hear nothing rattling about so hopefully whatever was supposed to be there has dropped "out" and not "in"!

Bit of a different subject, but can anyone explain how much play the lower engine mount (centrally below the dash) should have in it? Got a terrible knocking sound I can feel through the floor. Tried rocking the engine from under the bonnet, no knocking sound though. Not droplinks or anything else, changed everything apart from engine mounts. Had a look at the lower mount the other day over a pit, and there is a tiny amount of play in it. I thought a loud knocking sound like this would be pretty obvious to source !

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The engine stabiliser bushings. Virtually none detectable by hand, but you should see those bushes flexing when you rev the motor?:):

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
The lower engine mount should probably have a tiny bit of play in it as that is after all its job - to move slightly and damp the vibrations from the engine. The bolt should be done up very tightly indeed though - working on that old 1.8 of mine I couldn't undo it with any amount of force and ended up taking the whole grommet out of the subframe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Cheers Guys, Think I Can Write That One Off Then!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts