Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I maybe being a little cynical but the way the guy just spoken to me and my boss I'm a little sceptical.

Does anyone know of any HMRC Scams going around where they ask for your address and details over the phone....

I've just had a guy call at work to say I have a Tax rebate of (quite a lot of money) and have you received any letters through the HMRC. I explained that I've moved so would need you to confirm the address (which he couldn't)

I have since asked him or his managers to ring me back with more information but thought I'd see if anyone else has had one of these dodgy calls?
:confused:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Did he give you a phone number?
If so, then check it to find out if it is the tax office. (i.e. search online for the number he gives, or just call your local tax office and ask for the guy)

My wife got a nice refund through the post a couple of weeks back, so it could be legitimate.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Odd to ring you at work.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
....I explained that I've moved so would need you to confirm the address (which he couldn't)....

I would have thought that this is the bit that shows it is a scam.
He must have your address because HMRC always communicate
with you by post. Even if you move regularly he must have an
address for you that you would recognise.

I doubt you'll hear from them again :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently the reason he called as I'd not responded or claimed the money owed to me by tax rebate.... That sounded fine but my boss took the original call and just found he sounded funny, he started relling off the number (mobile) when I came off the phone and she just passed him across... Very odd...

He couldn't answer when I asked him what address the letters have gone too - I've asked him to ring me back or his managers with my address details its been sent too and more information... It's a lot of money so even if HMRC are giving me a refund I would like them to check the amount is correct.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I've heard of this doing the rounds. They call up telling you there's a rebate coming, and ask for your bank details to pay it over.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm PAYE too so thought if I was going to get a tax rebate its normally been through my wage slip....

I did think it was a SCAM which is why I asked him to call me back with more details. Just would have been nice to have the money he was offering on the rebate :lol:

Ah well Wishful thinking... The Cheek to ring my work tho!! GRRRR Not only that but my boss moaning that I've got a personal call through my work phone!

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
I hope you didn't give him your address details, you may find that you've been burgled when you get home
from work :eek: Just a thought ...

·
Administrator
23,038 Posts
It is no secret that I work for HMRC.

This is a scam (the call mentioned - not my working there!). It is possible to get a call if you OWE money but not if it is owed to you. You will always be asked security questions so that the caller knows he/she is talking to the right person.

As a point of interest local offices cannot be telephoned anymore and all calls are dealt with in centres. The general income tax no is:-

0845 300 0627.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Interestingly I had a phone call at work the other day - some bloke saying that my home contents insurance was about to expire and could they provide a quote. I was completely taken aback by being called at work and I was pretty sure I had only renewed a couple of months ago.

I asked him where did he get my number and he said probably (!) from a company called data something. I'm afraid I was a bit annoyed and said I didn't want to talk to him and put the phone down.

At the time I just thought it was a cold call but it could have been something worse..

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can confirm I give no one my details.... you'll be able to find my work details through jobboard advertising - thats no secret but to try and scam me whilst at work is annoying at the best of times. To get an ear full from my boss about personal calls was another thing.

I would never give personal information to anyone.. I'm cynical at the best of times and although I think I do my job well unfortunately my profession isn't the best loved and I've had threats down the phone etc.. for things I wasn't even involved with. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts