Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hmmmn. Doesn't seem quite right, does it? Is that a 99? Can't properly see from the photos, but that looks like the Phase 1 grille. Don't think I would travel too far to find out.

J

·
0 Posts
was just about to say the same about the grill! noone ever changes back! they aways go from P1 to P2!! i would buy it if it was a Cat C,but not if it still was,ie no vic check mot etc...

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmn. Doesn't seem quite right, does it? Is that a 99? Can't properly see from the photos, but that looks like the Phase 1 grille. Don't think I would travel too far to find out.
I thought that,very strange as it has the phase 2 interior.Front end been repaired?

J

·
0 Posts
true about the mot...What happens when its Cat C?i know you need a vic test but do they take the mot away?or is it still valid?most cars iv seen with a cat c need a new mot...

J

·
0 Posts
the advert is very badly written...

I would say it has been a cat C and has been repaired and so had a VIC check and a fresh MOT, i would go so far as to say it was front ended, hence the P1 grille, i would bet someone has got hold of a Proteo Red bonnet and slapped it on there, notice there are no under bonnet shots, would be interested to see what the slam panel looks like

another thing, look at the bumper, there is no slot for the oil cooler, it has an aero kit on the back but no front spoiler, i bet that is a 2.0TS bumper that has either been painted to suit or again off the same car that the bonnet came from

I bet he has spent £1500 to buy and get it to where it is, but there are still issues so he is selling it in to cut his losses...

BTW this is all speculation, i have no connection with the car

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just seems so low mileage,if you could get it for £1200,spend another £1000,i wonder if it would be in good shape after that?Oh, not another project :rolleyes:

J

·
0 Posts
Just seems so low mileage,if you could get it for £1200,spend another £1000,i wonder if it would be in good shape after that?Oh, not another project :rolleyes:
Remember it's a cat C, that means it will only ever be worth between 1/2 and 2/3 of its real value....

i would be interested to know what the issues are, i bet the front took a hit and the suspension is all over the place as well as having no air con condenser

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rebuilt my 156 a few months ago (Cat D) after a front end argument with a deer. MOT is void once the car is written off, Cat C means VIC check.

Don't be fooled by an MOT or VIC check. These will not ensure car is OK. Insurance companies are a bit wooly on cat's. Generally was told cat c means chassis damage, they wanted to cat c mine, I complained because on there was no chassis damage, they changed to cat D.

The thing is there are bargains out there, but they are very very hard to distinguish from dogs, especially if you don't know what you are looking for. Would suspect this has had a earlier bonnet dropped on, got vic and MOT, but either still has issues, or just a bit of the usual alfaitis. If you bought it you would never be happy with the bonnet, so assume you had to change that, sort out the other problems, and still have the stigma, and possible issues from the cat c. How much ? s/h bonnet plus £500 to paint, plus other problems....

If you are interested why not get all your questions together and phone the bloke selling it and ask him. If it doesn't sound 100% all the way, just walk.

Personally I wouldn't bother. But if you really did, you should be looking for photographic repair, or professional receipts, 4 wheel laser alignment, and evidence that the chassis etc is straight, and if anything else got bent in the shunt. Before you even bothered to look.

Be very careful and get someone to look at it who really knows what they are doing if interested.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would take the thousands of pounds you'd end up spending on this and buy a decent one. Also, just a note about the '£400 GTV Plate' ... remember private plates are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them ... i saw a 'T** GTV' plate go on ebay the other day for £50.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts