Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Halifax today and due to the horrible weather, found myself struggling to climb a hill, I spun the car around but it was sliding down sidewards, when it was pointing downwards again the brakes were useless and I was just rolling down hill, I yanked the handbrake up beyond normal levels and nothing still happened and I had no other way to stop it other than directing it towards the curb/kerb, it hit it on the front right with the cars steering at full lock to the left at about 2-3 mph? I've since driven for 50 miles back home and it seems fine, I was told a common thing that might be an issue are the track rod ends?

How can I tell whether any damage was caused?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
It would be driving horribly (ie you'd be able to tell from the feel of it) if the track-rod end (or other) was bent, or if the subframe had shifted.

Sounds like you've got away with it, but you might want to get it up on ramps and have someone give it the once-over. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Yes, I will take advantage of these free visual safety checks by national.

I would too, but being cynical I'd be wary of them trying to sell me something I didn't need.

If they do notice anything, make sure they show you exactly what is wrong. Don't just take their word for it!

Probably worth getting the alignment checked too. Most places do the check for free and charge £20-£25 to adjust it. Better than wearing out a pair of tyres prematurely!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of taking it in and not saying anything and seeing if that comes back with anything, they said on this free check voucher they check shock absorbers so I would assume that would include checking this area?

But yeah, I'm always wary of garages wanting me to take my pants off.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I was thinking of taking it in and not saying anything and seeing if that comes back with anything, they said on this free check voucher they check shock absorbers so I would assume that would include checking this area?
I'd go in and say what'd happened and ask them to check the track rods/wishbones/etc. It might give them a hint that you don't just want them to tell you that your shockers are leaking... :rolleyes:

But yeah, I'm always wary of garages wanting me to take my pants off.
:cheese:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll tell them to check it out, I rung them and they said drop it down in half an hour or so, fortunately I just found out the guy who's always changed my oil and filter there, was actually the branch manager, lol, I never thought he'd be as he was like quite young but at least then I know him a little

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got back, they said there was some slight play in on the nearside something and that the wishbone? could do with changing, something to do with an upper ball joint too, they quoted £150 for it all in.

I think that slight plays been there for a while now lol

On the good news, the slight knock into the kerb/curb yesterday didn't damage my track rod ends or anything :D which was what I was worried about the most, they said the tire must have taken most of the shock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought there might be something with it during the last MOT in September but it didn't have an advisory so hope its just a minor thing.

Otherwise thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts