Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so I've had my G for just under 2 months now and it was spotless, in perfect condition. I came back from uni today to notice some idiot has gone and hit my car and left a scratch, which seems to be deep.

I am so gutted about this, I treasure this car and now all I see is this stupid mark.

Can someone give me a price estimate on the repair of this? and also the procedure of going around fixing it?

Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
It looks as though it's just left a bit of rubber on the wing, so if you're lucky that will polish out. As for the bumper, that looks like the sort of damage "smart repair" companies, such as Chipsaway, can deal with much more cheaply than a bodyshop.

S

·
0 Posts
Hope you get it sorted.

Might be worth getting a dash cam? Reduces your indurance and you may have caught the person who did it. Mine records 24hrs and cuts out when the voltage drops below 12v so as not to flatten battery.

Came back to the car the other week and someone was parked so close I couldn't get in. Had great fun watching him trying to squeeze out then having to get out his passenger side. Left him a note saying video was going on facebook and not to be such a [email protected] next time. Fortunatley no damage but would have had the evidence if there had been.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Might be worth getting a dash cam? Reduces your indurance and you may have caught the person who did it. Mine records 24hrs and cuts out when the voltage drops below 12v so as not to flatten battery.
That sounds impressive. What model dash cam have you got?

S

·
0 Posts
That sounds impressive. What model dash cam have you got?
It's a nextbase 512G which I hard wired into the fuse box using an add a fuse.

I bought a Power Magic Pro (£20) which monitors the voltage and when it drops or exceeds a set number of hours since engine is on it cuts out. One wire goes to a perm fuse and one to a switched.

You get cleverer cams which have a parking mode and only record when there's movement but mines just on perm record.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You get cleverer cams which have a parking mode and only record when there's movement but mines just on perm record.
You mean like yours :wink_org:

I've thought about getting a cam with parking mode but never been that convinced they'd work that well - I mean it doesn't take much force to put a nasty scratch down the side of a car (which may not get recorded)

Your idea sounds much better, although in my case I'm often away for 8 hours or so on very long walks and wouldn't like the thought of coming back to a flat battery in a very remote location! I actually get a little worried in really remote locations that someone might break into the car just to steal the dash cam but as mine is only cheap I just hope they realize that.

Anyway, had no issues in 2 years and it's already paid for itself many times over :thumbs:

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
Coming back from Uni?
When I was doing my degree, and masters for that matter, I had a bicycle!
Sorry to hear of your bruised Giulietta.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It looks as though it's just left a bit of rubber on the wing, so if you're lucky that will polish out. As for the bumper, that looks like the sort of damage "smart repair" companies, such as Chipsaway, can deal with much more cheaply than a bodyshop.
Before you try cutting it out, use turpentine on a rag to gently clean the mark away first.
I had a big scuff mark on my car from a similar swipe and most of the transferred paint washed away.

After this drop into a friendly crash repair to see what a "cash" spot repair would be. I had a ding in a rental car door fixed for 40 Euro..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's a nextbase 512G which I hard wired into the fuse box using an add a fuse.

I bought a Power Magic Pro (£20) which monitors the voltage and when it drops or exceeds a set number of hours since engine is on it cuts out. One wire goes to a perm fuse and one to a switched.

Just bought a 512G. Can you detail your set up? Did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Feel for you mate. Although I suspect it won't all come out, have you tried t-cutting it?
The scuffs are too deep for t-cut :(

You were right! I used a warm rag to wipe the scratch and a lot of the rubber came off, doesn't look as bad now :)

Hope you get it sorted.

Came back to the car the other week and someone was parked so close I couldn't get in. Had great fun watching him trying to squeeze out then having to get out his passenger side. Left him a note saying video was going on facebook and not to be such a [email protected] next time. Fortunatley no damage but would have had the evidence if there had been.
Someone mentioned dash cam to me at work and its honestly becoming something I'm gaining more interest in. Just worried about maintaining storage and keeping it charged, I'm lazy as it is! haha. Also I don't really drive regularly now, maybe 3 times a week or so.

Coming back from Uni?
When I was doing my degree, and masters for that matter, I had a bicycle!
Sorry to hear of your bruised Giulietta.
Haha it came from a lot of hard work! I had to sacrifice a lot of things to save for it, along with doing a lot of hours on my days off at uni and after uni to gradually save up!

I got a quote today for £150 to get it fixed, I will continue to look around (and haggle) to find any other decent prices! I don't really want to go too cheap however as i've heard some repair jobs can be horrendous.

S

·
0 Posts
Just bought a 512G. Can you detail your set up? Did you do it yourself?
Did it myself in an hour or so. I mounted the camera below where the rain sensor etc is so as to get optimum viewing angle. I removed the interior light cluster (just pulls off) and let the cable along the headlining and down the A pillar.

Its a bot tricky at this part as i couldnt get the a pillar right off but moved it back enough to feed the cable into the fusebox. The i then found a perm fude and a switched fuse... will find the numbers and connected an add a fuse to each then wired the power magic pro in which then plus into the dash cam adapter.

Will add sone pics shortly.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If I was going to install a Dashcam it would have to be tucked away out of prying eyes.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
If I was going to install a Dashcam it would have to be tucked away out of prying eyes.
I don't see why. The fact you can see it makes a big deterrent.

In any road rage like encounter then I just point to mine and it's amazing how people quickly quieten down.

If you're worried someone might simply steal it then you can always add signs like "WARNING: Remote Upload" on the windows which I'm pretty sure will make them think twice.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
"In any road rage like encounter " ?
I'm really missing out.....not.
Depends if you act like a mouse all the time or not I guess :punch:

...although I'd be surprised if most drivers haven't encountered an unpleasant incident at some time or other - even if quite innocent.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Road rage is so easy to come across that it scares me! I overtook a guy turning left who tried to then push me off the road to the right. So I stopped to ask him what the **** is your problem. It turned out he'd had a motorcycle crash at some junction when someone had crossed hatched lines. The lines I was overtaking him on were broken and therefore allow overtaking, he did not understand the difference between the roadmarkings and found my overtaking inflaming. What I couldn't understand was that after having a hospitalising motorcycle crash this guy would then try and cause another crash in his car to prove a point he didn't really have to cause.He was driving a black Quasquai in Grantham at the time, big bloke and as usual an ignorant bully! Luckily daylight and lots of witnesses!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts