Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of the working week, there's nothing better than getting into my Alfa Mito Cloverleaf and having some fun on the back roads winding through Kent and Sussex. Sadly, my trip home tonight was spoilt by an erratic driver in a red Alfa Brera trying to squeeze through an impossible gap. My car was parked, but I'd just got in, and as two cars attempted to pass on a narrow street, the Brera thumped my wing mirror taking off some of the paint.

If the driver didn't hear the almighty bang, he might have heard my repeated blasts on the horn or flashing my lights. I even tried to approach the driver at a junction but he drove off before I got to the door. The way it was being driven, I can only summise the driver was drunk or the car was stolen, as it was criminal to see a Brera (a car I'd love to own day own) be treated in that way.

Working in insurance, this kind of behaviour drives me nuts. I've got a note of your registration, and given I have access to MID, will be entering a claim direct to the relevant insurer tomorrow unless someone contacts me on here. For your information, the convictions you can expect for failing to stop after an accident is AC20, and possibly AC10. Generally, this will apply approximately a 30% loading to next year's premium.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It's not really an accident it? FFS no wonder premiums go up if folk are claiming for a clipped wing mirror.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to ***** myself out to buy my Mito. I'm only 25, and it was a huge expense to go out and buy one. If I drive past your Alfa and scratch the wing mirror, would you be happy to go away and pay for it yourself? The car is four months old. Why should I drive around with a scruffed mirror because some moron tanked through a gap Jason Plato would have deemed ambitious? It's far from people like me putting premiums up - it's people with attitudes like yours to other peoples possessions. I've been driving eight years, and have never had an accident fault or otherwise.

FYI premiums are rising due to inflated PI claims and increasing fraud which insurers are having to take costly steps to combat.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Have to agree with fiisch!

I'd get you to pay for any mark on my cars, if you cause damage of any kind you will pay for it, accident or not.... Door dent, mirror etc.

I chased someone for 7 miles after they drove into me at McDonald's... And they paid up....

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
It's not really an accident it? FFS no wonder premiums go up if folk are claiming for a clipped wing mirror.
WHAT..? Of course its an accident.. and more to the point if the driver had stopped and done the decent thing and apologised and offered to pay then that would of probably been as far as it went.
The driver of the brera deserves everything that is coming to them

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
fiisch, sorry to hear about your incident but! i hate to tell you fella, your not a policeman and its your word against his/hers at the end of the day! I know this is not what you wish to hear but unless you have witnesses and most importantly 'Proof' then your case is pure conjecture!

·
Registered
359 Posts
If someone damaged my car I would expect them to pay for it, they can either do this themselves or get there insurance company to pay for it, its up to them. Its not much to ask

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Again have to agree, I had my wing mirror smashed off on my BMW X5 and it was very expensive to fix as it was the auto folding / auto dimming option fitted.

I'd be very angry to the point of dragging the guy out of the car at the lights when he stopped!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It depends how quickly the police act I guess. Judging by the damage to my car, there must be some form of mark and probably some of my paint on my mirror, so if the damage is consistent that would help my case.

Fortunately, I had a fella from Chips Away come out to touch up my Twingo after it was keyed (I think accidentally - when I say keyed, I mean shopping-trolleyed) and I phoned him yesterday evening and he said he'd do his best. To fix a big section on the door of my Twingo only came to around £250, so I'm hoping he can do something for around the ton.

The stupid thing is, it would be far cheaper and simpler for all parties involved just to stop and pay up. The person involved is probably just as annoyed at having done it to their own car. Castration is too good for anyone who is the perpetrator of a hit and run! People's attitudes to other people's cars is horrendous. I'm particularly anal about where I park, as often people barge past cars not caring if they leave a mark.

I suppose I can't complain too bitterly - another Mito owner was involved in a hit and run where a van ploughed into the rear at about 25mph - so it could be worse!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
hi a few weeks ago i had an absolute tool in a transit van take offence to my shiny red 156 ...he proceeded to keep dabbing his brakes infront of me so i decided to overtake him which offended him even more, so as i was approaching my turn off he undertook me causing me to brake severly ...so i decided to get his reg(bad move on my part)the idiot then decided to turn off his lights and slam on using his handbrake and at 50 in the wet i couldnt stop crunching my front end ..then he just sped off with out a second glance i phoned the police straight away according to the police he phoned an hour after giving them some **** and bull story, i am convinced he was drunk..anyway after six weeks and after me getting my car repaired out of my own pocket and several emails and phone calls to my insurance..they sent an accident investigator i spent nearly 3hrs going through allsorts of paperwork and on his way out he said and i quote"you do know that your insurance will pay him out because you went in the back of him end of,regardless of who,s fault it was or what led up to it". even though he drove off and didnt report it till an hour later...its an unwritten rule apparently ..but im gonna dig my heels in the day i pay for a little scroat to feed his drug/drink habbit is the day i give up driving...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately that is the very much the case. If you hit someone in the rear, you are automatically deemed at fault excepting extenuating circumstances.

I had a case when I worked as a broker where somebody reversed into the car behind at a set of traffic lights and claimed for a rear end shunt. Fortunately, he did it when an unmarked police car was sat a few vehicles back!!

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Do what you gotta do fiisch, its people like that who really get my back up. Even if he apologised it soften the blow slightly. What an ignorant oaff. :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
the one thing i do have on my side is the police think he was at fault as it was clear road with nothing infront of him and he failed to stop which in their eyes is an admition of guilt,but not unfortunatley in the eyes of the insurance,if i lose im gonna take out a private prosecution ,in my opinion it was either a staged accident or he was under the influence of something,not a chance im admitting liabilty il fight it in every legal way possible thats what i have legal cover for might aswell use it...on a serious note someone could of been injured or killed because if i had swerved to avoid him i could of hit oncoming traffic doesnt bare thinking about realy..any way hope you get your car sorted without putting you out of pocket it realy annoys me the lack of respect for other peoples property these days..

take it easy

steve

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Again have to agree, I had my wing mirror smashed off on my BMW X5 and it was very expensive to fix as it was the auto folding / auto dimming option fitted.

I'd be very angry to the point of dragging the guy out of the car at the lights when he stopped!
Top man:thumbs::cool: My kinda approach:lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Working in insurance, this kind of behaviour drives me nuts. I've got a note of your registration, and given I have access to MID, will be entering a claim direct to the relevant insurer tomorrow unless someone contacts me on here. For your information, the convictions you can expect for failing to stop after an accident is AC20, and possibly AC10. Generally, this will apply approximately a 30% loading to next year's premium.
Hi

Sorry to hear about your incident, but don't let it turn on you....

If you have access to the MID and use it to identify another driver (even though you feel you have a right to do so) you run the risk of falling foul of the Data Protection Act - the MID is not licenced for you to do this.

The max fine is £500k (!) but more likely your employer would be expected to take significant action against you (ie loss of job).

The legal way to do this is through the Police and if you are not satisfied with the conclusion of their investigation, pay for a DVLA search.

If the other driver does read this thread and realises you have acted unlawfully to obtain their details, a scratched mirror could be the least of your worries.

Folks are prosecuted for this offence on a regular basis and it is very easy to lose your job once your employer realises that they can be held to account if they can not show that you have breached their rules.
In the event that you own the firm with access to the MID, then expect the MID to remove access and to face a fine!!!

Hope the Cops identify your man.

·
Registered
963 Posts
As echoed above, coming on here and issuing threats whilst abusing your position, not matter how angry you are, isn't the way to get things resolved.

·
Registered
34,411 Posts
I think you will find that the Police will not be interested if nobody was injured and threatening to missuse your access to data about people will be looked upon with a lot more interest! It is unfortunate but a new pair of mirror caps for a Mito is £50 or so to upgrade to chrome or titanium

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see how they'd prove that... I could just have easily have asked someone else to find out for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't see how they'd prove that... I could just have easily have asked someone else to find out for me.
And in doing so you would be committing an offence (obviously as would any person - mythical or otherwise - who you asked to breach DPA).

In terms of "..how would they prove it.." 77,000 members of the Prison population probably asked the same question (!!!!).

It is remarkably easy to prove and tends to come as something of a shock - get the incident into perspective, it just isn't worth losing your job over (and getting prosecuted).

Under the circumstances you have described, the driver who did not stop would get a substantially lower penalty (and unlikely to lose their job) compared to a breach of the DPA.
A 30% loading on an insurance premium really doesn't compare to the penalty for a breach of DPA...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.