Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I think I have a big problem with my GT.

I was driving on a very dark road when I suddenly hit something very hard, it sounded like the shocks were fully retracted
and/or the sound as if there were no tires on the rims and you hit a stone edge.

I looked what it was and it seems there is a road repair going on and they shaved off some 2 inch, which results in a hight
difference between the two surfaces; I hit that edge with nearly 20 miles/h.

I'm afraid now something is damaged in a way the brake disc shaves the brake pads on one or both sides. I feel the car
doesn't drive as smooth as before anymore and you hear something squeeking underneath. So I guess something is bent. :(

Does someone has any suggestions what could be bent / damaged??

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had the same thing happen years ago with an Alfa 164. It was fully laden (4 people plus luggage) and at about 80km/h. The left wheels hit a hard edge as you describe and bent both wheel rims on that side. It will be the inner rim that will be damaged so take the wheels off to have a look. Luckily both tires were fine. A number of months later I also found the left front damper to be completely failed almost certainly as a result of the incident, but of course I can't be sure.

I can't imagine how this would effect your brakes but anything's possible so of course you should inspect them carefully, or get the car to a garage if you're not confident in this work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
today I jacked up the car to free all four wheels, spin them and look/hear for a weird noises but there were none.
Than I went to a garage where they also looked for trouble with the wheels but they also found no problems.
Than I went for a drive and found out the sqeeuking is gone and the car is driving as smooth as before again.

They think maybe a brake pad or a caliper went a bit offset because of the impact and just seated itself properly again.
Weird story but there seems nothing wrong anymore...

The steering wheel is not shaking while driving or braking, it's just drives as nothing had happened! :scratchchin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts