Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a couple of days ago there was a noise coming from the vents like a noise from a puncture!
Never had any issues or work done but any ideas on this anybody?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
that's an easy one. you need a recharge.

the charge drops over time, and up to 10% per year off the full charge is considered normal.

I had this after 1 year already, but not after that. I suspect the system wasn't fully charged from the factory so I did itmyself and added a touch of POE-oil to keep the o-rings soft and malleable (vs the PAG-oil from the factory which is the best lubricant but not a seal conditioner).

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reassurance C-S . You did the recharge yourself?
Is this easy ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance C-S . You did the recharge yourself?
Is this easy ?
I think you will find that C S is "in the trade" so it would be no problem for him. Naturally for us mere humans, one would need the necessary pressure equipment no doubt.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I'm certified to work on AC systems and used my employers recharge station.

Dead easy. Except over here you can't get R-134a if you're not certified (since 2015).... should be the same all over Europe

One nipple is on the front, behind the right headlight (IIRC) and the other is on the bulkhead by the expansion valve.

Remove the leftover R-134a (in my case 190 grams), vacuum the system for as long as possible (an hour in my case, usually 15 minutes). Replace any oil that came out and reload the correct amount of R-134a. I also added some UV dye for future use, but haven't needed it so far. I don't remember how much grams was needed, but you can just go by the High/Low pressure readings if you know what you're doing. Around 500grams anyway.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
@cue2 I had mine recharged / regassed at about 2.5 years/25000 miles. Also, they added the UV die. Cost was £50+VAT inclusive of a simple leak repair and regas in the future if it pees out again...

Icy cold now and no evident leak yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for info. Had mine from new mid 2011 and no mention of need for re-gas at service but it's due so I will add it to the list.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Airco broken :(

My 1st defect after 5 years and 56000 miles

Yesterday I noticed that the airco does nothing anymore
No hissing or babbling noise, nothing ...
The magnetic coupling of the compressor works when switching on and off.
The fan behind the AC condenser was not working ...

In front of the Accondensator I had already placed a fine-masked grid against the crushed stone for 5 years.

Have only been able to drive 150 miles in the last 2.5 months ...
I will contact the garage on Monday, hopefully it is only refilling ... because ac parts can be quite pricey ...

Because I drove about 100 miles yesterday, I noticed that my Start-Stop system started working again, so my 1 battery is still OK ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I found my car had less than 300 grams of R134a in it when new. I drained and filled to spec and it has been fine since (7 years old now). If yours had also only 300 grams in it, it's quite normal to need a refill now. I think I will do a refill next week again, during lunch.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anybody needs a new air con “radiator” (condenser) I still have one that I never had fitted and then I traded the Giulietta.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts