Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope, not the artificial ones for old deers but the ones needed for selling a house.

Another hairbrained, governement scam to claim yet more money from us, just so they can tell you your 100W spot lights get warm and give you a bigger carbon foot print. Sorry but I dont care if i'm reducing the planets life expectancy by an hour, I like my spot lights and my wifes petrol Alfa. Heres for climate change and sod the £££ for a non engineering bloke to tell me how efficiant my kettle is.

My **** :rant:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
devised when house price inflation was high, as another way of taxing the "profits" ( not quite sure how house price gains can be seen as profits when you are trading up though and the change up gap and amount paid in stamp duty was ever increasing)

with the collapse in the housing market it just served as another beurocratic expense and we all now pay someone ( usually affiliated to the estate agent) to cut and paste and print a generic document.

Bloody marvelous:lol:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Right on! Even more expensive than her recent speeding fine too! Shelling out here and there, every blinking where! :mad:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I can see the point of assessing a dwellings energy efficiency for prospective buyers but the assessments are so basic that they really are worthless in reality.

IIRC around £15 from every assessment goes to the government which is also the case for SAP calculations.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
One of my neighbours had to get one done. This is in a newish house (4 years old) and he had the original builders certificate stating the effeciency of the house. He's improved the house by adding solar heating and a state of the art water tank.
The muppet they sent to do the assesment, marked the house down about 4 places on whatever scheme they use. When my neighbour produced the orginal document the guy immediately changed his document to be the same as the builders.:rolleyes: All for the grand cost of £400.
WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sorry but I dont care if i'm reducing the planets life expectancy by an hour, I like my spot lights and my wifes petrol Alfa.
A rather selfish attitude but increasing costs tend to do that to people ;). Not sure why you're moaning really. After all, you can have whatever you want, carbon footprint increasing or not. Just as long as you're willing to pay for it...

·
Registered
726 Posts
HIPs were one of those things that were a good idea in principle but pointless in practice. In an age of ever-decreasing energy security it makes excellent sense to rate houses for efficient heating, insulation and so on. It's also an excellent idea that a a house should just come with just one survey, so that buyers don't have get several done before they find a house.

Unfortunately, the surveying proved very patchy and mortgage lenders rejected the HIP survey in favour of getting one for themselves to base their lending decision on. I'd be surprised if they linger on for much longer.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I know, its a complete waste of time & money. I have been markedf down on my HIPS because of numerous issues including my loft which I had boarded completely to use as an unofficial office. It fails because I have compressed the loft insulation. If I was buying a house I would rather have a boarded over loft than 3ft of of bloody insulation.:mad:

Ah well, it only gets worse, the estate agent told me in April 2010 the stamp duty limit lowers again to 125K. At least were being shafted now from both sides.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
When we had ours done last year, the 12 year old with the shiny Burton suit asked if it was detatched or semi. It's the first time I've ever asked someone to leave and come back! His genius report suggested getting cavity wall insulation (it was 1890s single wall construction), double glazing (it was a listed building) and energy saving light bulbs (every single bulb was energy saving). Absolute farce of a concept anyway - no-one is going to spend money improving a house efficiency just to sell it, it ends up being a price negotiating tool if anything.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The best people to give these jobs to are retired builders . Who actually know what they are looking at and can understand diffrent construction methods.

Not a suited bod whos been on a 6 week course and now has a framed cetificate on his wall at home. Stating he has achived level 1.:rant:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
hips are a total and utter farce. ill conceived and even iller executed, they surely have to be withdrawn sooner or later

my only worry is that they're the thin end of the wedge - i reckon they'll try and link your council tax to your home's perceived energy efficiency (as decided by the 12 year old expert in the shiny burton suit and unfortunate choice of shoes...). so if your house gets energy efficiency rating A, congratulations you get to pay the same council tax as before. anything lower than an A and they'll hike your bill right up and help themselves to even more of your earnings in the name of 'the environment' :mad:

·
Registered
84 Posts
just had to do mine,least its gone down from £400 nicker from when they started it in 07.paid just under £250 but you can do your own if you can be arsed.

K

·
0 Posts
I think the principle of having a survey done yourself and providing it to prospective buyers is a good one in principle. Unfortunately, an awful lot seemed to get lost along the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts