Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any hints & tips for removing & checking the head on a 155 Q4? Is there anything which should be done at the same time or checked for tolerance?

Cheers,
Alex

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there are a lot of vacume pipes that you should label cos i got them mixed up once and forgot where they went. the inlet is the tricky one i think you can leave it mostly connected but the exhaust needs to come off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW i have a 'grale' manual in paper form if you need any help.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers JB.. no doubt I'll need lots of help.. luckily I'm not doing on my own.. (phew)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Wrinx.. the Q4 is dead at the moment. It went pop on the way to work a couple of weeks ago... Driving along at about 40mph off boost & it kind of juddered then there was lots of smoke\steam & no power etc. So it's a blown head gasket, possibly burnt\dropped a valve & cylinder 4 is currently full of water. Oh dear. (hence the quick flogging of the silverstone to raise the cash to fix it).

Steve Webb's been a great help so far but I havn't really started the big stip down yet - thats the only thing which will tell me if it's bent a conrod or damaged a piston etc. Either way, I've got two part worn kidneys for sale if anyone wants one wink

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you're taking the whole engine out rather than just the head off, it would be a good time to clean the engine bay out and dress the engine concourse stylee!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, if you have seen the effort needed to drop the engine from a Q4 you wouldn't have suggested that. Besides a nice film of oil keeps the rust at bay.

Alex, in the off chance you haven't got to that part in the workshop manual yet, it looks like the prefered way to get the head off is with exhaust and inlet manifold in situ. (you'll be needing a hoist for that then)

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm I was flicking through the manual & it seems like it's only a bit more hassle to take the engine out as it is to take the head off in-situ!

It's all those pipes that scare me. They must have had a load spare when they designed the Q4!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seeing as the engine/gearbox is going to be coming out from underneath the car, you are going to need to get the front of the car a good couple of feet in the air, then remove disconnect the prop, remove wishbones and drop the front subframe, then disconnect whatever you can get your hands to, drop the engine 6 inches, disconnect the rest, drop the engine onto a couple of chunks of wood and drag out the way.

Personnaly I'd just take the head off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trust me just do the head.!!!!!! btw that guy wants £200 for a head(not cams)and £30 for each piston if you need them. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers JB.. I think I need to find out all the bits I need & then go hunting around like the evil xmas fairy for all the parts! wink

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was talking to the 'grale guy' and he said you can take the head off without removing the inlet manifold from the engine bay,so you wont need to worry about all those pipes but you will need to take out the rad as in the piccy. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure the Rad will have to come off on a Q4 as there is more space at the front & it's a different shape, but not having to disconnect the 1001 daft pipes might be useful! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
taking out the rad makes it oooooodles easier to get the turbo off. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there speaks someone who has a tad more experience in these things than me (oohh err) .. I'll have a spy at it all today..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alex, take the rad out, it aint that difficult and it will give you alot more room. Because the front slam panel comes away totally.

I've done it a couple of times, but to get to this stage takes an hour or so. Pretty straight forward too.

Oh and soak all the studs on the exhaust side in release fluid/wd40 for about a week, then you might be able to get a couple off without snapping the studs.

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ahhh the pitfalls of italian engineering.. cars like jigsaw puzzles & bits that just randomly snap off!

Radiator off it is then.. I need to find some buckets then!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so is there some secret I'm not aware of that stops all these screws & bolts from shearing? 3 out of 4 that hold the slam pannel in & the ones which hold the indicators in so far! aarrgghh frown

1 - 20 of 27 Posts