Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 147 JTD lusso (115bhp) is dificult not to stall when hill starting until the engine has had at least five minutes to warm up and is near imposible to hill start in reverse, also turning left onto a hill the car seems to lack any power until the turbo kicks in so it is hard to pull into traffic. the three year warentee is about to run out so should i try and get this sorted before it does or is this normal and i should shut up and put up? this is my first alfa and first desiel so i dont know if this is normal and as i bought the car used and don't know if it has always done it.
my route to work includes having to turn left onto a steep hill with stop start traffic within a minute of leaving home so its a bit of a grind.

·
Registered
38,475 Posts
My work had a very similar problem with a Citroen C5 Diesel company vehicle. It turned out to be the MAF (Air flow meter) the car was extremely slow until it was warm.

Simon.

·
Vendor
46,276 Posts
I reckon its the MAF. The 8 valve JTDs aren't exactly nippy but it shouldn't struggle to pull up a hill. My mums 1.0 litre 3-cyl Picanto doesn't even struggle!!

However, when I had a knackered MAF, my JTD DID struggle to pull away before the turbo kicked in. Hills, roundabouts, you name it. I'm not saying this is your problem but its likely. If the car is three years old, thats a reasonable amound of time to expect a MAF to last, it could need changing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38,475 Posts
Diagnostics should pick it up. Especially if the engine management light has come on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts