Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,
I bought a gorgeous 159 Automatic 1.9 (2007) few weeks ago but now having a bit of nightmare with this faulty.
Took this car to Alfa dealer and has been told that nothing wrong (unbelievable), not bad news though but yesterday driving home the message Hill holder VDC failure is on, the problem is the car does not switch gears so was driving M6 Birmingham limited 40 miles and Lorry drivers weren't happy with me :smoker:

Any suggestions? I read a lot about it but not sure what to do, break switch? battery? (porca miseria)

Grazie mille!

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Did the car go into limp mode and feel really lumpy?
I had this when I had a bad connection on one of the injectors although my first thought would be the battery is on its way out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did the car go into limp mode and feel really lumpy?
I had this when I had a bad connection on one of the injectors although my first thought would be the battery is on its way out.
I would look at replacing the brake switch. This will always throw up these warnings. I have had it twice. I am not sure if affects the gear changing on an automatic as mines a manual but it could well do.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
+1 for brake switch. You will be surprised how often you brake light is on without touching the pedal. This time of the year not easy to see but winter it is much more obvious. My wife's car did this exact same thing for many months until new brake light switch fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Guys,

I will replace the brake switch this weekend and then the battery, I will post here if worked or not, I hope so cant wait to drive the car. "la bella macchina"

Thank you all :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 159 sw it was the brake switch easy to take off I actually up clipped mine carefully and split on in to two halfs the small metal switch just needed a clean been ok for two years now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 159 sw it was the brake switch easy to take off I actually up clipped mine carefully and split on in to two halfs the small metal switch just needed a clean been ok for two years now
Hi Chris,
I probably will try this first, the brake switch is above glove box, cabin air filter right???

Thank you!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Brake switch is same as the fiats of the day... can pick a genuine one up for not a lot of money.

If you can wait until maybe this evening i can dig out a part number for you

Reactions: Ar ferrari

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brake switch is same as the fiats of the day... can pick a genuine one up for not a lot of money.

If you can wait until maybe this evening i can dig out a part number for you
Hi Ricky, bought and replaced already, no worries I appreciate your suggestion, thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi chaps,

Problem has been sorted out. I replaced by myself the brake switch and all messages disappeared, the car is running smoothly and fast like a hell.... :biglaugh:

Thank you for all suggestion :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had simmilar problem with my 159 1.9 jtdm. I had errors like vdc failure, abs failure, hill holder failure, fuel gauge goes down for a second, then up again, car was hesistating, motor control failure light came on... i thought it was battery, and i have replaced it. Errors were still there. Then, after inspecting wiring, cables, brake and clutch switches, error was found. Injector cables were loose, so i just diconnected them, and connected again tightly... and all of a sudden everything was back in normal. This may be helpful for someone

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts