Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday...very early morning after dropping a mate off from the Linkin Park concert I had a chance to give a Golf 5 GTI a proper go on the highway.

From a rolling start (+/- 80kph) off of the on-ramp there was nothing in it up until about an indicated 220kph. Then he slowly pulled a car length on me. When i mean nothing it in we were next to each other with no advantage to either until we got over an indicated 210kph+.

I really expected him to give me a proper hiding but the advantage just wasn't there. I'm so chuffed with how my 147 Diesel managed to keep up. On looking at the torque figures (GTI=280nm JTDm=305nm) it starts to make sense. On the other hand I think a GTI would have given me a proper whipping away from the lights.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I can't say much for the G5, but my G6 GTi will give my GT JTD a hiding, rolling or from the lights. None the less well done:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
thumbs up to the alfa....however how will the jtd stand up to the seat or polo 1.9TDI the high line 96kw

G

·
Rolling starts the GMA hangs around with G6 GTI's a lot longer than it should.. It beats the 1.4TSI Golf hands down

My biggest hiding I ever got was from a modded White Renault Megane RS!! Holy mother that thing made the GTA look like its standing still!! By 3rd gear he was a comfortable 3/4 car lengths ahead...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had I go off a polish guy in a passat diesel last week. He thought he was great pulling away from the lights. At first I didn't notice him trying to put the foot down. But when I did I floored it. He was spooled up completely. And without my turbo fully spooled I was catching him. As soon as my turbo spooled I got the crazy acceleration that my car has once in turbo band. Needless to say the look on his face was priceless. He was determined to get past me. The idiot even went the wrong way round a roundabout just to beat me. That was funny because I was taking the first exit off the roundabout. Some dude tried it in a 2 litre petrol 3 series a while ago on the motorway. I chickened out. My car hits 260km easily enough. I still havnt found out what she tops out at. Couldn't be much more than that. Could it?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
A couple of months ago I had an impromptu early morning drag race away from the lights on the airport highway with a Golf GTI. It was neck & neck for a while, but through 4th & 5th gears the GTI began to fall behind.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hats off to the 147 jtd!
Now I understand why my friend raves about the performance of his 147 jtd.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had I go off a polish guy in a passat diesel last week. He thought he was great pulling away from the lights. At first I didn't notice him trying to put the foot down. But when I did I floored it. He was spooled up completely. And without my turbo fully spooled I was catching him. As soon as my turbo spooled I got the crazy acceleration that my car has once in turbo band. Needless to say the look on his face was priceless. He was determined to get past me. The idiot even went the wrong way round a roundabout just to beat me. That was funny because I was taking the first exit off the roundabout. Some dude tried it in a 2 litre petrol 3 series a while ago on the motorway. I chickened out. My car hits 260km easily enough. I still havnt found out what she tops out at. Couldn't be much more than that. Could it?
:confused: Seriously? I am an ex-GTA owner. My car use to cut out on 7200rpm. What is the rev limit on this diesel? :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mk6 Golf GTIs are pretty nippy little beasts. My mate's got the 1.6tdi version and even that's a fun drive, he says.

I rarely drive fast when I'm in the car. I don't expect that to change much when I get the GT, although of course I'll be sure to 'enjoy' the extra power of it over my Peugeot.

On the bike, however...

Had a chap in a Focus RS have a go down the A50 near Available Car, coupla weeks ago. Soon as I noticed him coming up, gave a nod, a twist of the wrist, and he was a speck in the mirror.

The 911 that had a go on the way home was a little closer, mind, haha...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
:confused: Seriously? I am an ex-GTA owner. My car use to cut out on 7200rpm. What is the rev limit on this diesel? :eek:
The 156 2.5 V6 Box is geared to rev limit (7200) with needle just touching 260km/h - true speed is then dependent on wheel/tire choice.

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
On my 1.9 JTDm the redline is 4500rpm but the limiter only cuts in at 5000rpm. If i remember correctly and I wasn't having a good look to be honest an indicated 210-220kph was about 4200rpm, so there isn't much left after that me thinks. The handbook says top speed is 208kph which i imagine would be true speed rather than indicated. Like any diesel the torque output really starts to taper off at high revs so once you're over 4000rpms acceleration in the higher gears becomes quite slow. I find that keeping the engine between 2000-4000rpms gives the best acceleration.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
My 2.4 Barge runs at 167 Kw and 440 odd Nm Torque with the Novitec chip, and I will never see 260..... a 3.2 GT will still show me a clean pair of heelps , even at our altitude.
260 out of a 1.9 JTDm..... unless its highly tuned, never............

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The 156 2.5 V6 Box is geared to rev limit (7200) with needle just touching 260km/h - true speed is then dependent on wheel/tire choice.
True, have been there (250+) with my 156 2.5 Sportpack, and it ran into the limiter in 6th.
GTA is however a different beast...speed at 261 on the gps, but let off as I had passengers. Regretfully never had that stretch of road again to run the limit. Dis toesluit sake :tut:

:D Life is too short sometimes! .... :p

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l553/ysman007/Alfa Romeo/resized_255kmh6deratuitsny.jpg
and so
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l553/ysman007/Alfa Romeo/GTA/05082011120.jpg

And that is how you verify a wild statement.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My GT is for cruising only and trying to eek out the mpgs.... Well it should be but my shoes are too heavy to get any more than 43 mpg.

I can't imagine trying to 'play' with anything though on my commute, that's reserved for weekends in the RS :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
True, have been there (250+) with my 156 2.5 Sportpack, and it ran into the limiter in 6th.
GTA is however a different beast...speed at 261 on the gps, but let off as I had passengers. Regretfully never had that stretch of road again to run the limit. Dis toesluit sake :tut:

:D Life is too short sometimes! .... :p

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l553/ysman007/Alfa Romeo/resized_255kmh6deratuitsny.jpg
and so
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l553/ysman007/Alfa Romeo/GTA/05082011120.jpg

And that is how you verify a wild statement.
Wow!!!! My 2.5 must be faulty then :rant: and I have been suspecting this. I never see those speeds even at the coast. Or I can't drive.

·
Registered
268 Posts
260km/h with a 140bhp diesel?...:confused::rolleyes:
Sorry Haven't checked this thread since I posted. I Personally have gotten 260Km/hr from my car. Let me tell you a little about my car as it currently stands. It's quite a shocking stealth-mobile

GTB2056V Turbo (156 2.4 210bhp turbo)
new uprated injectors
full stainless steel sports exhaust system (loud but still legal and no drone on motorways)
Full GTA braking system.
Upgraded super lightened O.Z. Racing wheels 17"
full remap ecu ( then de-tuned because of smoke on acceleration)
Kevlar stage 3 clutch and lightened fly wheel
enkei coilover set
Top-front tension bar
bottom rear tension bar (these two give best compromise between a rock hard ride and comfort IMO had all four but was like sitting on a rock)
Full K and N induction kit with powered air ram system. ( surprisingly enough the powered fan thing actually makes a small difference)

I'm sure there is a few things I cant remember right now but thats the short list.
She is sitting around 265 at the minute. Obviously you cant put that much power through the front wheels from a standing start. Not without a launch control system of some kind. Probably like "FRS3052"'s RS depending on the model.

Also I get what people are saying about weather conditions up high versus the sea. But I live in Ireland where right now the temperature is 5 degrees Celsius and only 12 meters above sea-level perfect conditions for a cars breathing system. Maybe if i was in SA my results would be lower.

I have got ideas of doing more to the car but I think thats enough for now. Would love a Q4 system in her but the added weight and added fuel consumption would be a killer. Has anyone seen the 700BHP 156 diesel on youtube? that could be fun to try( reserved for track purposes :p)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts