Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sat idly waiting for Mrs K earlier at Tebay services. We've just returned from Scotland where our scruffy old CRV has clocked up over 800 miles since Friday bringing its total mileage to just shy of 160,000 miles. When I think back to the cars I had 30 years ago, which were oil burning and smokey at 100k I find this astonishing. As I waited I began to wonder how many high mileage heroes we have on this forum. So over to you, what have you got and has it made it to the moon (approx 239,000 miles, unless you're a flat earthed, in which case it's just beyond Stockport)?

It doesn't have to be an Alfa. No prizes, just a nod of recognition.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know it's in the wrong place. It will be moved shortly.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Just 157,000miles for me....so just about run in....! 59 plate.
239,000 miles is the average distance to the moon.....If you time your drive to the moon right you could save some miles.....at its closest its only 225,623 miles away!.....but at worst its 252,088....that's 26,465 miles further...almost another full tank on my diesel!

·
Administrator
46,126 Posts
My dad's old VW LT28 went all the way around the clock once, and was well on it's way to a second traversal when he got rid of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Our 2005 VW Touran TDI has 213000 on the clock, doesn't smoke and runs and drives like it did the day we bought it 11 years and 120000 miles ago, still smells like a diesel though!
As far as the engine goes it's only had annual fluid & filter changes, a new MAF, glow plugs and a thermostat. The suspension is a different story however, virtually everything has been replaced already and I've replaced the front wishbone bushes twice now!
My 2006 159 2.2 has done a mere 126000 and also seems in good health, especially after I cleaned the carbon off the inlet valves. Suspension also not original...
1990 300sl, 149000 and smooth as silk (now anyway, wouldn't even run when I got her 5 years ago!) but needing a new rocker cover gasket...
2009 Fiat Qubo 110000 and runs ok, but everything around the engine is a little the worse for wear. What did I expect for £100 though!

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Are you sure it doesn’t smoke. I was following some diesels yesterday going towards and through the Blackwall tunnel that were appalling. And I’m not sure all the drivers knew.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 9-5 Aero has just gone over 165k. Original clutch, head gasket, cam chains, rear springs, and front bushes. Front bushes are letting me know they need some attention.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bet bad or no servicing or egr blocked off or removed.
Also crap ebay £99 one size fits all tuning boxes.

A fine effort by misterflaps' Touran. 213k to beat.

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
I know someone who bought an ex-taxi Prius with almost 400,000 on the clock.

The worrying thing was that he paid £3000 for it and he sees the mileage as a good feature. :LOL:

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 9-5 Aero has just gone over 165k. Original clutch, head gasket, cam chains, rear springs, and front bushes. Front bushes are letting me know they need some attention.
My old NG900 was on about 170k when I sold it. It used a drop of oil because the crank seal didn't but it didn't burn the stuff. The Saab breaker who bought it reckoned the engine would probably end up in an Astra.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Smokey diesels annoy the hell out of me... One thing the Americans did right was not promote it's widespread use in cars.

Saw a 2.2 Diesel Civic with 230k for sale when I was looking for a car. Talk of DMF failure and clutches melting scared me into buying the 1.8 petrol instead...

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Did anyone see the high miles challenge on Top Gear ...the ex Berlin Taxi E class Merc had over 800,000 miles!

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
A friend’s Skoda Fabia estate did 240 000 miles before it cried “enough”. Several times I asked her when the last service was done and when I looked into it (I kept records as I’d done the servicing) there were intervals of 36 000 miles! I was told once there was a bit of a scraping noise, I found all discs badly scored and every single one of the pads down to the metal, “how long has it been like this?” The reply was that it was somewhere like a month. It ate front void bushes and I found out why when I was a passenger once, she hit speed bumps as though they weren’t there. I said not to do that but the reply was “that’s what the suspension is for”. After that I said she could take it to a garage, I gave up on it, and her. The thing was the Skoda just kept going!

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
My brother has just bought a Skoda Octavia diesel. Hopefully that will be good for a high mileage too.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Work takes me to mainland Europe quite a bit, where the taxi of choice has always been a diesel E-Class. Those cars pretty much plot Mercedes’ rise and fall over the last 20 years. I’ve been in 200k W211s that felt like death traps, and 600k W212s that felt brand new; not a rattle, chirp or dash warning light anywhere. The W213 feels like another backward step though in terms of noise suppression.

·
Registered
443 Posts
A friend’s Skoda Fabia estate did 240 000 miles before it cried “enough”. Several times I asked her when the last service was done and when I looked into it (I kept records as I’d done the servicing) there were intervals of 36 000 miles! I was told once there was a bit of a scraping noise, I found all discs badly scored and every single one of the pads down to the metal, “how long has it been like this?” The reply was that it was somewhere like a month. It ate front void bushes and I found out why when I was a passenger once, she hit speed bumps as though they weren’t there. I said not to do that but the reply was “that’s what the suspension is for”. After that I said she could take it to a garage, I gave up on it, and her. The thing was the Skoda just kept going!
Doesn't surprise me... Lots of folk who aren't into cars treat their machines like absolute $hit with utterly no respect or any idea what mechanical sympathy or preventative maintenance is. Did your friend open the bonnet ever?

Some guy in my old job had a Zafira and he came into work saying "my car has been making some nasty noise for ages now, I checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. What do I do?!" A few of us told him to go out and get engine oil immediately, when he said could he drive there in his car we said NO! :ROFLMAO:

This was years ago and I only left there in Jan, as far as I was aware the Vauxhall simply swallowed the punishment and carried on running.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Sometimes it’s a matter of luck. I ran a 1999 206 which had about 140000 before it was scrapped. It had had 16 keepers back in 2013 when I had it and no history.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts