Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We're considering replacing our yaris with a 159 lusso as we need something bigger. We have around £6k to spend either a diesel or petrol as we don't do huge mileage around a 2006 - 2007 with 60-70k.

There are a number which are well under budget but with much higher mileage, they appear to mostly be ex-fleets cars.

What are the main pitfalls of these cars? I'm thinking worn bushes, knackered ball joints wheel bearings etc. Are these things which typically wear on the 159s? Or am I going to find worn clutches flywheels and in need of cambelt and water pump changes as well? How well do the turbos last on the diesels, and the chains on the 2.2s?

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi, i just bought high miler ( 130k) for 4.5k and to be honest its not that bad. Driveshafts have theyr wobble - spider joint i think, knocking drop link, and slightly dodgy steering rack. Havent had a time to investigate all the problems, just got her on monday.
But at 130k miles she drives nice and quite.
good luck

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hi,

We're considering replacing our yaris with a 159 lusso as we need something bigger. We have around £6k to spend either a diesel or petrol as we don't do huge mileage around a 2006 - 2007 with 60-70k.

There are a number which are well under budget but with much higher mileage, they appear to mostly be ex-fleets cars.

What are the main pitfalls of these cars? I'm thinking worn bushes, knackered ball joints wheel bearings etc. Are these things which typically wear on the 159s? Or am I going to find worn clutches flywheels and in need of cambelt and water pump changes as well? How well do the turbos last on the diesels, and the chains on the 2.2s?

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice is appreciated :)
How many miles do you do a year? That should strongly influence your decision as to whether to go diesel or petrol.

Regarding cam belts, if you are looking at high mileage cars, then these should have been changed already (just like any other car with a belt-driven cam). The nominal replacement interval is 90k, but I plan to do mine earlier, and if you were planning to buy a car with 80k ish, I would have it done.

Bushes and ball joints don't appear to be problematic, although they are of course wearing parts, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd issue. Likewise clutches and DMFs.

Turbos seem OK. The most problematic issues on the diesels is the anti-pollution gear. Clogged EGR valves. Clogged DPFs.

159s are prone to steering rack issues. So check for noises going from lock to lock.

The timing chain on the 2.2 is a single chain, and there have been reports of stretched chains requiring replacement, although this tends to be non-catestrophic, unlike a cam belt failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are more likely to but one with knackered ball joints, bearings, etc if it has been privately owned. Most fleet cars have main agent history, and if something is out of tolerance or needs replacing it will be done, as the company pays! It is far harder to get a private owner to spend on 'non essential' maintenance..........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Change cambelt and water pump at 70k, its a 500 or 600 quid job. If your mileage is low i would go petrol and save the money on the purchase price. i have the 210bhp 2.4 diesel and its a great car. the only car I ever look at as an alternative is a new 159!!

Note, if you need a bigger car for family reasons, only the Ti model and the SW (estate) have folding rear seats as standard, the rest are fixed which would be a problem for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input so far! The car will do around 8k per annum so not a huge mileage. I am keen on the 2.4! I've read a few posts which mention the bleed screw needing changing.

It is tempting to look at the higher mileage cars but unless the belts and clutch DMF have been done recently it sounds like they're in for big bills relatively soon. Offset these costs against buying a lower mileage car in the first place and to me it makes more economical sense in the short run to stick with lower mileage cars, or find a high miler with all the big jobs done.

Are there any other common faults I need to be aware of which haven't been mentioned?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Bought mine 9 months ago with 98k with a couple of faults frt wheel bearing which i replaced, egr valve which i repaired(that's to a link on here) now it's on 113k with no further issues i have dropped the oil twice and put rear pads on, she drives faultlessly on my 70 mile a day commute and i intend to keep it indefinately. The big bill was at 90k when it went into Mangoletsi for a cambelt change beware of this, in my opinion they are fantastic value for money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine's done 130k and has been brilliant, other than a clutch and flywheel which any car at that mileage would require. My 156 2.4 I got rid off at 105k as it really felt well beyond its best, the 159 is a different matter.

D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I guess a lot of it comes down to the fact that these are still relatively new cars and despite the mileages should keep going for sometime.

Now to sell the yaris :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2006 2.4 Lusso with 75000 miles on. Its just had cambelt, water pump and a full service inc. new oil.
Im only selling due to buying a house and it is in your budget.
Would rather it went to someone on her that will look after it!
Pm me as i maybe interested in the yaris.
Thanks Josh

·
Registered
769 Posts
Mine's done 130k and has been brilliant, other than a clutch and flywheel which any car at that mileage would require. My 156 2.4 I got rid off at 105k as it really felt well beyond its best, the 159 is a different matter.

D
How much should we expect to pay for the clutch and flywheel service ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmm let me see now so far I've got through

BAttery
MAin body Computer
Electronic steering lock
MAF
EGR
Alternator
Steering ball joints
One upper wishbone
And now the clutch is slipping...

·
Registered
855 Posts
A mate and me replaced the clutch on my Fiat Coupe, we budgeted 1 day, it took 3! For me I think I'd rather find a car which's had it done!
On a newer car, bolts shouldnt be too rusty. And its not too big job, if all bolts come out easy, i would say about 8 hrs and its a 2 man job.
If you are doing it yourself, than you can check on other parts.
TBH i havent done 159 yet, but did 2 clutches on 156 2.4

·
Registered
10 Posts
159 clutch replacement is £575, add a DMF and the slave and it's £1200.
(Just had mine done by AutoLusso)
It's also for sale if you're interested? (See classifed ads)

D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts