Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfa like probably many others always reaches 90 degrees easy which I think is pretty high is there any solutions to this or does it not matter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
that's normal running temp, you sould start to worry when in go's above 90 and the fan's don't come on, I had the same worry when I bought mine, do'es get very hot in there, wings get hot aswell

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Equally if it stays low (showing mid-way between 50 and 90) as that would suggest a stuck open thermostat. That will cost you more fuel as it will run rich to compensate for what the ecu thinks is a cold engine. At least with the V6 you get to change just the thermostat and not the whole assembly like a TS!

Keep an eye on the rads. The fins corroded easily and start to fall away which in turn reduces the cooling effects and the car will start to overhead, especially in traffic. Most last around 6 years ...

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Don't think we have had someone complain that their engine does reach normal running temperature before!

But yes, 90degC is where you want it to be ALL THE TIME once it has warmed up (which shouldn't take long).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm going to drain my gear box oil anyone know where the drain plug is and what it looks like?

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to drain my gear box oil anyone know where the drain plug is and what it looks like?
Don't have any pics handy, but there are two drain points on the v6 box, the 2nd on the diff housing.

As for filling, that is through the small dipstick hole.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I put pics on the other thread :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't think we have had someone complain that their engine does reach normal running temperature before!

But yes, 90degC is where you want it to be ALL THE TIME once it has warmed up (which shouldn't take long).
Thats the TS engines mainly that has these problems right ? ... You can always check the Thermostat by driving it from cold and watch the Temp. measure clock ... it should rise, then around 90 fall back again and then rise a little again ... thats a Thermostat working correct ...

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
Thats the TS engines mainly that has these problems right ? ... You can always check the Thermostat by driving it from cold and watch the Temp. measure clock ... it should rise, then around 90 fall back again and then rise a little again ... thats a Thermostat working correct ...
To be honest, I've never seen it fall back.
Mine just rises to 90 and stays there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be honest, I've never seen it fall back.
Mine just rises to 90 and stays there.
Yeah, it's hard to spot since the difference is very small ... but have a good look when it passes the last line before 90. It's a narrow difference, but it is there ;) ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts