Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went on the motorway today and noticed that when going over 70mph particularly when accelerating there was a rumbling sort of sound from the car. Where from I couldn't say and it stops if the car is taken out of gear. It doesn't do it when their is no throttle being used. It is probably felt as much if not more than heard, things being a bit noisy anyway at that speed.

The temp gauge is rock steady at 90 the engine pulls smoothly at all times and there seems no sign of it on normal roads.

What the hell could it be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
may be first signs of clutch wear i'm no expert but i had the same symptoms and it progressed to the clutch slipping! keep your eyes peeled for the saga that followed!!!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
possibly drive shaft related due to it only happening under acceleration, i had the same issue on a previous car low speed it was fine once up to motorway speeds it used to judder a fair bit under acceleration

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds likely to be an inner cv joint. I think normally it is the passenger side that goes first. Had very similar symptoms when mine failed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went on the motorway today and noticed that when going over 70mph particularly when accelerating there was a rumbling sort of sound from the car. Where from I couldn't say and it stops if the car is taken out of gear. It doesn't do it when their is no throttle being used. It is probably felt as much if not more than heard, things being a bit noisy anyway at that speed.

The temp gauge is rock steady at 90 the engine pulls smoothly at all times and there seems no sign of it on normal roads.

What the hell could it be?
when i seen your tread, i think i have the same problem.
i changed the drivers side outer cv joint and the vibration went away, but i have the same
rumbling and a noisey bearing like sound, the inter cv boot on the left hand drive shaft is spilt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm mine did that could be something simple - but in mine if was the Dual Mass Flywheel - has it been re-mapped - excessive torque can wreck them

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No remap as yet..

I've spoken to Pro Alfa and it's going into them on Monday so I will know more after that..

dc

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out that it was the Tripod on one of the driveshafts. I will be getting it back tomorrow or the day after..

Welcome back to Alfa ownership..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bloody driveshaft is costing me a fortune... The whole bill is going to be over 600 which also includes the replacement of the handbrake cables and letting a bit of oil out as the last bloke apparently overfilled it..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the GT from ProAlfa today and all is well again. Albeit at the cost of £650 which included a new driveshaft, new handbrake cables and new oil and filter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts