Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a thorough service we cant get the idle speed to be lower than 1000-1200. We have reassembled the throttle body a number of times and also tried 'tricking' the ECU but it still brings the revs up to 1000-1200. This tells us the computer thinks it needs to be at those revs. The only other thing done at servicing was a new radiator (old one cracked) so could this be the heat sensor thinking the car is cold constantly? We are at a real loss as there are no warning lights or error messages showing up. :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Does the ts engine on the 156 fly by wire or is it cable like the 155?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the JTS moved to FBW, but don't quote me!

Kiwitones, if I recall correctly, a new lambda sensor brought the idle speed down on my old TS. But lets see what the others have to say first.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If its not fbw then just check your routing of the the throttle cable. Had the same problem on the 155 and it was due the the cable being twisted funny and slightly opening the throttle. If is FBW the ignore everything I said!!! (sorry only got a jtd 156 lol)

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
If Selespeed as in kiwitones banner, then it will be fbw ...

kiwi: Have you touched the breather pipes? There are two: one goes behind the throttle to the inlet manifold and has a valve that can get stuck or lost .. this will let excess air in from crankcase. High revs is often caused by air getting in after the throttle body .. also check the seal on the inlet manifold to throttle body mounting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there i have a similar problem with my 156 i have checked the inlet manifold and cleaned the valve just in case it was getting stuck, and checked the wire and its not getting sticking i have adjusted the wire so it sits on minimum revs but still on idle it runs at between 1000 - 1200 revs when cold the engine will get up to 2000 revs at first a slowly drops to 1200 - does any body have any thoughts is it possible the maf that needs changing?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got the same problem on my 146, revs used to jump up and down so cleaned the throttle body out. Now it just revs at 2k rpm unless I tap the throttle or sometimes it goes down itself. I'm led to believe its the Idle Stepper Motor but its a bit of a job to sort as it needs connecting to diagnostoics etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts