Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 year old 166 3.0 which is the love of my life and of course my worst enemy:lol:

After driving at speed for say 20 miles I'm getting a high pitched squeal/whistle from my NS rear wheel, if I apply the brakes the noise lessens but returns shortly after but also if I don't apply the brakes after about 5 mnutes the noise fades to become bearly audible if at all.

jeez I just noticed my last visit here was in March '08

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
First step would be to make sure that the caliper is free to slide on it's pins, and that the piston & pads can move freely, also check that the handbrake cable is free and the lever can fully return to it's stop.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 14 year old 166 3.0 which is the love of my life and of course my worst enemy:lol:

After driving at speed for say 20 miles I'm getting a high pitched squeal/whistle from my NS rear wheel, if I apply the brakes the noise lessens but returns shortly after but also if I don't apply the brakes after about 5 mnutes the noise fades to become bearly audible if at all.

jeez I just noticed my last visit here was in March '08
This is a very common problem. Apply a thin film of copper grease to the metal contacting parts of the pads and the noise will disappear.

·
Administrator
5,041 Posts
If thats because you have not needed any help then well done:)

It does seem to be a sticking brake caliper or brake cable, do you do any of your own diy on the car?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If thats because you have not needed any help then well done:)

It does seem to be a sticking brake caliper or brake cable, do you do any of your own diy on the car?
the faults I've had have been niggling ones that I can live with, heated seats not working/heated wing mirrors not working/ash tray cover not closing etc.:lol:

booked it in for new brakes/handbrake cable this weekend

thanks all for the replies

still a very good car after 14 years and 193k on the clock:)

·
Administrator
5,041 Posts
Good, tell us what is was for future info please. as mine only done 109,000:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts