Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this could be some sort of brake rubbing issue. only picked the car up last week but driving home we noticed this high pitch whistling noise as we were getting close to home(after having driven around 20 miles). It stopped every time I touched the breaks, and also hard croners it would stop, but aside from that pretty consistent. Now on that trip it sounded more like a bird type whistle, putting the stereo on you'd barely hear it.

Made a few short commutes since then and nothing, no sound at all, until today. My second longish trip, after about 20 miles I started to notice it return, and as I arrived at my destination driving slowly with the windows open, it became really loud, a very high pitch near constant whistle that I suspect would have been enough to hurt peoples ears had I cruised past anyone. Again it stopped each time I touched the break, but aside from that which ever gear, and touching the gas or not it was constant.

Strange thing was returning home, not a squeek:confused:

Found another thread discussing something similar, but that seemed only relevant while accelerating, so different to my issue.

Any idea's as to what it could be, would I be correct in suspecting maybe some sort of brake rubbing? It's a Cloverleaf with the red calipers.

Thank you in advance, don't really want to have to drive back to where I purchased but if that's the general opinion of what I should do then I'll have to try and arrange it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a same kind of situation, QV with red calipers, I just get the whistling with very light brakin (just barely touching the pedal). Stops at moderate braking or when lifting foot off the pedal...

Your brake could have been dragging a bit?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a same kind of situation, QV with red calipers, I just get the whistling with very light brakin (just barely touching the pedal). Stops at moderate braking or when lifting foot off the pedal...

Your brake could have been dragging a bit?
It does seem that could be it. The fact it didn't do it on the way home, I think I'll give it a longer test before I go back to where I bought it. I'm wondering if it's just down to the fact that as it was serviced before collection, or the fact it had been sitting on the forecourt for a long time, it may need a bit of breaking in(no pun intended;)).

Will see how it goes.

That aside I absolutely loved my first proper ride in it today, really gave it some beans around the b roads and I will say this, performance wise I didn't miss my GT one bit(for looks I still think the GT takes some beating), was like driving a go kart:cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
3 possibilities

1..Brake pad material splitting from metal carrier
2..Sticking caliper
3..Faulty wheel bearing

Hope that is of some help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts