Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTV TS Lusso has the most irritating high pitched squeal coming from the rear of the car. I t can be heard from inside the cockpit and if you stick your heah in the boot, while the engine is running. Can't quite work out what it is. Any ideas ne1?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi, welcome to AO
Could it be the fuel pump? Does it sound like it's coming from the fuel tank? Does the squeal change pitch at all with different revs?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be. It's in that sort of area. How can I be sure?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dunno! You've just reached the stage when I would take it to my friendly local dealer!

Hopefully someone else here might be able help you a bit more...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's an easy diagnosis for this, I think.

When you switch the ignition on (With out starting the engine) in any car the Fuel pump will go on to prime the injection system.

So first check would be to switch the ignition on from cold.
Listen for your squeel.
If it appears, without the engine being started it most likely is the Fuel Pump.

One check you could do, is remove the Fuel pump relay fuse with the ignition off then switch the ignition on. If there is no squeel you can then guess that the noise is the Fuel pump as it will have been disabled therefore silencing it.

The second check is slightly trickier.

Locate the fuel pump relay fuse, by refering to the Car's Owner Handbook.

Start the Engine and while it is ticking over remove the fuel pump relay fuse.
If the noise stops before the Engine. It is the fuel pump which is at fault.

I doubt it is the fuel pump though, because they ussually have a long life, 100k miles+.

Hope this helps,

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys. If it is the fuel pump, will it need replacing? or can it be fixed? The reason I am askink is because I am soon to be an ex-Afla owner so don't want to spend any cash on my GTV before I sell it (Y reg, 20k, FARSH, TS Lusso in silver with full aerokit - if anyone's ineterested?????!! £12,995 ono)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh yeah, but I have since found out, the fuel pump is bob-on and the whistling noise is coming from a new special device which allows me gain an extra 958bhp. How lucky is that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts