Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still have a high pitch noise intermittently from front left wheel when driving on motorway. Had new disc and pads fitted, all greased. Can anyone give any advice what it might be?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Could be the wheel bearing, they can manifest themselves when driving at certain speeds.

The left wheel bearing on my GT made a high pitched drone around 80mph and no noise at other speeds in a straight line. But while taking a winding right turn > 50 mph, it would drone again.

(i.e Take a winding right turn, the loads/stress on the left bearing increases & vice versa, if this happens, almost guaranteed to be the wheel bearing)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies, is there any play on the wheel if it is raised or an easy way of checking for wear of the bearing? I will also check for debris around brakes.

·
Registered
981 Posts
A high pitch squeal when you are going in a straight line is likely the rear calipers seized which is a common problem. Sound travels under a car and I though the same the first time mine needed to be done. The bets way to check this is to apply the brakes or handbrake (gently of course) to see if the noise stops. There will be play in the wheel if the wheel bearing is on its way out and it will groan and grind. The power steering pipe seeps fluid because one of the sub frame brackets wears on it. This can cause a whining noise when you turn the wheel on lock because the power steering fluid is low. Check the fluid level to rule it out as an issue.

The sound of bad wheel bearings - YouTube

Nick

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
you cannot feel any play if its bearings as they are not taper fit......play will only be felt in the bearing when the hud nut is removed and the drive shaft removed
as AutobotVanguard says pull up hand brake then you will know if it is the front or rear for certain

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
As said, there will be no play in the bearings to indicate wear, unless it's so worn the wheel's about to fall off. Best way to check is to jack up the wheel and spin it as fast as you can (tricky on the front because you're turning the driveshaft, etc.) Generally a stuffed bearing will feel/sound rough and grumble a bit as it's turning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts