Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all,

I am after a bit of advice, am I making the right decision?

I have agreed to buy a 159 ti 2.4 diesel for a bit over 4k, the mileage is high at 150k , it has a full service history , and been MOT’D last week with no advisories. I drove the car , it pulled well in all gears , did a clutch test by lifting the clutch with the hand brake on and seeing if the car dipped which it did quite convincingly in the first 3 or 4 gears . The engine was revved and there wasn’t clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I could hear no knocks or bangs when the car was driven or at a stand still. Timing belt and water pump done 10k miles ago. The dpf has been removed and the ERG has had the regular modification. The cars has also been remapped. The body work and alloys are in great condition, I know the Ti spec are becoming harder to get hold of at good prices and the 2.4 is a rare breed. I would not be intending to sell the car on at any point so further depreciation will not bother me greatly

Advice please, anything I should be looking out for or thinking of?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello

I have a spider with 195k on it , 2.4 and it does not use any oil or water , I am having slight issues over the clutch slipping if you really boot it in second & third , but that is down to the remap more than anything else - I think

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good Morning all,

I am after a bit of advice, am I making the right decision?

I have agreed to buy a 159 ti 2.4 diesel for a bit over 4k, the mileage is high at 150k , it has a full service history , and been MOT’D last week with no advisories. I drove the car , it pulled well in all gears , did a clutch test by lifting the clutch with the hand brake on and seeing if the car dipped which it did quite convincingly in the first 3 or 4 gears . The engine was revved and there wasn’t clouds of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I could hear no knocks or bangs when the car was driven or at a stand still. Timing belt and water pump done 10k miles ago. The dpf has been removed and the ERG has had the regular modification. The cars has also been remapped. The body work and alloys are in great condition, I know the Ti spec are becoming harder to get hold of at good prices and the 2.4 is a rare breed. I would not be intending to sell the car on at any point so further depreciation will not bother me greatly

Advice please, anything I should be looking out for or thinking of?

You need to take it on a test drive get it warmed up and floor it at a fast pace in 4th, 5th & 6th. This will determine if the clutch is on its last legs, as it will slip under the torque loading.

I just bought a Brera and it wasn't until the drive home that I realised the clutch had gone!

Regular clutch test is no good and a pottering test driver is also no good.

Everything else seems to have been covered, all the best with the purchase.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Yep, sounds in good nick, but have a read of the buyers guide in the stickies for other things to look at. At that age I would delete the EGR (may have been done, and give the intake manifold and 'throttle body' ( the latter is a diy job) a good clean, likely coked up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

Reactions: Gazza159TI

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi
Im looking at selling my 159 2.4ti 210bhp version due to a change in circumstances let me know if you are interested it's in excellent condition it's covered 130k with no expense spared. It has FSH, cambelt, water pump and tensioners done earlier this year.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
MattPateman: what age is the car? Think about final resale when you move it on or will it be run until it has no perceived value? If hands-free is important check that B&M will connect to your phone as many of these units are now non-functioning and can't be recovered. Test it with your phone, test the CD player (these also fail) and check the USB connection in the glove box works.

After that most things to check are in the stickies.

Even though a relatively modern car some owners have already had front subframes and rear training arms so badly corroded that they have been MOT failures and needed replacement. Your car has just passed the MOT so that should be OK but it does not mean that corrosion hasn't started so get a good look at it.

Also look very carefully at the inside edge of both front and rear tyres because the original Alfa settings means these cars eat tyres. Later settings fix this but most tyre / alignment garages don't have the later data.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, since the post I have had a mechanic look over the car and he has found no issues , the ERG has been deleted. No sub frame corrosion

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Sounds like a good buy.

Certainly better than an overpriced low miler that has been used mainly on short trips where everything hasn't had chance to warm up properly...

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Heavy lump engine with non- TI spec makes front springs formless at high mileage. That is not quite coasty to replace at least.

·
Registered
38,687 Posts
Might be cheaper to buy a Lusso, then upgrade the wheels, mirror covers and suspension.

I am sure the Ti suspension isn't as good as a set of Eibach Springs and Bilstein dampers. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will read the PM :)

I know, I think its when I give up for 6 months and stop looking the good ones come up! Worrying how I spot the same couple for sale every year.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts