Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys another problem.. my alfa now idles at 2000rpm.. never done this before... is there anyway I can adjust the idle??

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
don't know which car/engine, but in principle you cannot set idle, it's set by the ECU so there must be a reason for the high idle
(throttle valve, air leaks, temperature, .... )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will try it when I get home... is there a way to reset the ECU??

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
Will try it when I get home... is there a way to reset the ECU??

Only way to really reset parameters in the ECU is via f.i. MES
There is a throttle reset procedure though, assuming you have a drive-by-wire throttle system:

1 Disconnect negative lead battery for 30 mins or so
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs without touching throttle pedal
you should hear the stepper motor initialising.
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine again without touching throttle and let the car idle for couple of minutes
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only way to really reset parameters in the ECU is via f.i. MES
There is a throttle reset procedure though, assuming you have a drive-by-wire throttle system:

1 Disconnect negative lead battery for 30 mins or so
2. Reconnect battery, and turn ignition to MAR for 90 secs without touching throttle pedal
you should hear the stepper motor initialising.
3. Turn off and leave 90 secs
4. Start engine again without touching throttle and let the car idle for couple of minutes
5. Turn engine off and leave for 10 minutes
6. Start the car and go for a drive, using a number of styles (eg town, motorway, thrash etc)
I will try that... hopefully it works

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the throttle reset... idle dropped from 2000rpm to just under 1200rpm... should I do it again or give it a bit of time to settle?

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Try again, but also check for air leaks especially the crankcase vent hoses .. one you can see easily: goes to the air intake just before the throttle, but there is a second hidden under the engine cover and goes to the intake manifold behind the throttle ... there is a valve in that one that sticks (or if you take the inlet manifold off, can get lost!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try again, but also check for air leaks especially the crankcase vent hoses .. one you can see easily: goes to the air intake just before the throttle, but there is a second hidden under the engine cover and goes to the intake manifold behind the throttle ... there is a valve in that one that sticks (or if you take the inlet manifold off, can get lost!)
I will check... but I am changing my air intake tomorrow... I hope that makes a difference..

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
You may not have left it long enough in step 4 ..

Sometimes you need to reset the idle actuator ... with MES or AlfaDiag. Especially if someone has been moving the throttle manually.

Have you put that cone filter on it ... :-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may not have left it long enough in step 4 ..

Sometimes you need to reset the idle actuator ... with MES or AlfaDiag. Especially if someone has been moving the throttle manually.

Have you put that cone filter on it ... :-(
I think I will try it again... and take it from there... nope no cone filter... gonna use the standard box but with a K&N filter.. just gonna change the intake pipe

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
in step 4, the engine needs to get to normal operating temperature....
Procedure sometimes takes more then 1 go ......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts