Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was wondering what you guys with the 135hp multiair engine gets for average mpg? I get 28mpg on normal driving, not going over 3k rpm when shifting. This is what the display is telling me, I just bought the car, so i don't really know what to Expect.

While accelerating, barely touching the gas pedal, the average jumps down to 20-16mpg.

Some pages writes it gets like 50-60mpg on normal driving. :(

Is the display very inaccurate? Or is it more likely something wrong with the engine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi!

I was wondering what you guys with the 135hp multiair engine gets for average mpg? I get 28mpg on normal driving, not going over 3k rpm when shifting. This is what the display is telling me, I just bought the car, so i don't really know what to Expect.

While accelerating, barely touching the gas pedal, the average jumps down to 20-16mpg.

Some pages writes it gets like 50-60mpg on normal driving. :(

Is the display very inaccurate? Or is it more likely something wrong with the engine?
I think you must be looking at the instantaneous consumption which jumps around a lot while you are driving. As you state, very low values occur even under "slow" accelerations - I see 6-9MPG up a hill I use regualrly!

Mine does about 36-38 average MPG on my usual run to work - 70MPH dual carriageway and a winding B road. Long motorway journeys give about 40MPG but I have to keep the speed below 75MPH. Thrashing around the lanes gives mid 20s.

I have absolutely no idea how Alfa managed to get a government figure for the combined cycle of 53MPG. If only that were true. At least it gains us relatively low car tax so I suppose I musn't complain :) And my Lancia Integrale only does 23MPG on my drive to work!!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
How long is your average trip? Short trip + cold engine = surprisingly low mpg
Good point. That is very much the case for these engines. The first 5-10 miles (at least) is pulling down the average, and if you never go longer than that, your average will just be poor...

·
Registered
19 Posts
My average is always around 20mpg, trips are mostly 7 miles. 36mpg if I drive very carefully.
I have to refill every 225 to 230 miles, which is way too often. But at least it pulls way better than previous 1.6 NA 105HP.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I get 30mpg from a similar cycle, and I tend to drive, well, a bit agressively, so there might be something wrong with your engine. Spark plugs, injector nozzle(s), sensors, thermostat. There are so many possibilities...

edit: oh ,it was Reaper who got 20mpg, original posters 28 is not that terrible. Low, yes, so an engine check maybe for you too.

I guess 50-60mpg with a MiTo is just impossible...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I get 30mpg from a similar cycle, and I tend to drive, well, a bit agressively, so there might be something wrong with your engine. Spark plugs, injector nozzle(s), sensors, thermostat. There are so many possibilities...

edit: oh ,it was Reaper who got 20mpg, original posters 28 is not that terrible. Low, yes, so an engine check maybe for you too.

I guess 50-60mpg with a MiTo is just impossible...
Yes, 50 plus mpg would be difficult....I can get 44 mpg on a 30 mile commute of 5 miles urban and 25 miles motorway never exceeding 2750 rpm and 60 mph...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the best mgp I've ever managed to squeeze out of my QV is about 37, during a trip of about a 100 miles at a pretty much steady 50mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi!

Some pages writes it gets like 50-60mpg on normal driving.

I think you must be looking at the instantaneous consumption which jumps around a lot while you are driving. As you state, very low values occur even under "slow" accelerations - I see 6-9MPG up a hill I use regualrly!

Mine does about 36-38 average MPG on my usual run to work - 70MPH dual carriageway and a winding B road. Long motorway journeys give about 40MPG but I have to keep the speed below 75MPH. Thrashing around the lanes gives mid 20s.

I have absolutely no idea how Alfa managed to get a government figure for the combined cycle of 53MPG. If only that were true. At least it gains us relatively low car tax so I suppose I musn't complain :) And my Lancia Integrale only does 23MPG on my drive to work!!!!!
Same. I get 36mpg as my daily average & 42mpg on motorway at steady 70mph. I have a 2015 TA petrol with TCT.

God knows how they got 50-60mpg!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
On a long run 250 miles at around 65mph I get 45mpg, 70-75 40mpg cruise control set where possible. On an average week with 80 commuting miles in total fast A roads and the odd day out around 30mpg. Nowhere near as good as the 60ish mpg Alfa claim, I have the auto so I don't expect the mpg to be great but I would've thought it might have been a little better as going back to a smaller car is supposed to save money. My bmw 325ci auto was returning 22 mpg I'm sure I'm saving ££ somewhere :biglaugh:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Well we all know now most manufacturer figures are fiction ... Lab vs Real-life ... Miles apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well we all know now most manufacturer figures are fiction ... Lab vs Real-life ... Miles apart.
It's very tempting to think that Alfa used some kind of "defeat" algorithm to cheat the tests. I wonder if the VW net will extend to all official figures?

I bought my MiTo MultiAir partially because I thought I would get fantastic fuel comsumption on my daily commute and the great performance at weekends. OK, like the guy with the BMW, I get between 22 & 25 MPG from my Lancia Integrale so 35-40 MPG ain't bad. But, because I believed the figures (they are "official" after all), I have always felt that I was swindled somewhat.

Should we start a campaign???

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get 30mpg (8l/100km) only if it is raining or at night, max speed 80km/h. Of course half of the way the terrain is all but flat.
Afternoon, after work, this engine is just fun to drive (altough it lacks power, especially when overtaking), and I get 21-23mpg (10-11l/100km).

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
It's very tempting to think that Alfa used some kind of "defeat" algorithm to cheat the tests. I wonder if the VW net will extend to all official figures?

I bought my MiTo MultiAir partially because I thought I would get fantastic fuel comsumption on my daily commute and the great performance at weekends. OK, like the guy with the BMW, I get between 22 & 25 MPG from my Lancia Integrale so 35-40 MPG ain't bad. But, because I believed the figures (they are "official" after all), I have always felt that I was swindled somewhat.

Should we start a campaign???
I'm a girl :irked:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts