Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory HiD's on my 159 are intermittently going off with increasing frequency.
It started the other day with the right one. It happened or I noted it as I got home. Went in dumped my stuff in the house came out and switched the car/lights on again and it worked.
This morning on the way to work I noticed the right one flickering again and then it went out.
Switched them off and used my :)eek:) fog lights for a little while. Switched the headlights on again and all was fine until I reached work. The left one was out. Switched them off and on in the car park and both on again. That's the first time the lefty has been out :p

It has been mentioned on the "What have you done today.." thread that it might be the ballast. Anyone any ideas?

I've not checked connections as I was about to do that on the right hand side but now as the left went off I'm thinking that is less likely. They never have yet both gone off together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had this in the past and it's typically the ballast - ordered a replacement ballast only, swapped out in 5 mins and all good. It wasn't the same model as the original, but same output and connection (I think they're near enough all the same).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I could be wrong but i suspect the water may have gotten in there as a result for pressure washers used at the car wash as the unit is pretty well sealed

·
Registered
700 Posts
I could be wrong but i suspect the water may have gotten in there as a result for pressure washers used at the car wash as the unit is pretty well sealed
IIRC it's not pressure washers that cause the problem (although they probably won't help)

It's the design of the ballasts which have a hole in them for the fitting bolt which allows water into the unit.

You might find that dismantling the ballast and cleaning up with contact cleaner then re-assembling and using some decent sealant will be enough to get it running properly again.
If it's to far gone then a new ballast might be required.

Either way if the light is intermittent it's unlikely to be the bulb.

Axe.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were fine this morning :irked:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thats good they were fine but if there is moisture in them that is causing the intermittent problem the sooner you fix it / dry it out the more chance the it is will continue to work long term

IIRC it's not pressure washers that cause the problem (although they probably won't help)

It's the design of the ballasts which have a hole in them for the fitting bolt which allows water into the unit.

Axe.
I did not see that on mine. the only holes in to the ballast were where the cables plug in. most of the corrosion/ moisture on mine was around the pins for the cable that goes up to the bulb.

My car is a 2010 I wonder if the design has changed as i recall reading about a hole in the ballast on another thread.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats good they were fine but if there is moisture in them that is causing the intermittent problem the sooner you fix it / dry it out the more chance the it is will continue to work long term

I did not see that on mine. the only holes in to the ballast were where the cables plug in. most of the corrosion/ moisture on mine was around the pins for the cable that goes up to the bulb.

My car is a 2010 I wonder if the design has changed as i recall reading about a hole in the ballast on another thread.
Understood :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts