Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my g/f's dog to the groomer's this lunchtime. It's on an old farmyard, and I pulled up in a disused loading bay.

Dropped the dog off, and as I pulled away there was a big "CRUMP" ... :cry: pulled back and saw steam and a dark puddle near the front of the car :eek:

Turned the engine off immediately and investigated. Oil pouring out the sump, and two large bits of sump each with a big bolt in lying in the driveway. Not actually *that* much oil, so I don't think I lost the entire sump contents.

Called Autolusso, and Ned sent an oppo out with Big Ned (his truck) and a trailer within minutes. Luckily I was only about 10 mins from Autolusso anyhow.

So, who'll give me what odds? I hit the kerb at less than 5mph, and turned the engine off within 5 secs. I reckon I'm in for one of:

- Just a new sump cover and refill
- That plus new big-end bearings
- Worst case, that plus damage from the whole engin being shunted backwards

Top marks to Ned and the guys at Autolusso for responding so quickly though.

·
0 Posts
Hopefully number one - the engine wasn't ran that long after the incident, but only inspection can reveal any damage to the shells :(
Don't reckon no 3 will be an issue unless you were shifting TBH

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called Ned at Autolusso to see what's what ... he's not had a chance to check it yet, but it'll be going up on the ramp tomorrow.

He made the (quite valid) point that when they take (what's left of) the sump off and look at the big end shells, they're likely to find some wear anyhow ... after all it is a 10 year old car!

For the sake of the cost of new shells and another hour's labour while it's on the ramp, I'd have the peace of mind of a sound big end - and the service history to show it.

·
0 Posts
Yer in good hands I know that much :thumbs: - wish Ned & Co were nearer to me :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ned's taken a look at one of the big end shells and reports that it's near perfect! So much so, he wouldn't recommend changing any even as a precautionary measure or even inspecting the others. If he'd replaced the shells I'd have to run-in the engine again, and there'd be tiny pieces of metal floating around the oil system as a result.

Needless to say, some unscrupulous garages would just look at the extra ££ for doing the extra work and go ahead with it. Yet more kudos to Autolusso!

So it's just costs for recovery, new sump, oil, and labour (I say "just" to make me feel better about it!).

There's a lesson here for all ... if you hit *anything*, turn your engine off immediately!

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
The other lesson for all to learn of course is to remove the stupid "bridge" piece and the studs that hold it on....and that are responsible for smashing more sumps than anything else......:mad:

Anyway, well done for saving your engine.......:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
done this before by hitting a pothole in my old punto. not realising what had happened i drove half a mile home and got on drive just as engine started clattering, just in time before any damage was done, and half a mile trail of oil behind me lol.

it had knocked a hole around where the nut goes and poured out, was a new sump, fitted it myself but was a pain in the *** lol

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
A friend od mine bottomed out at speed in his 156 and heard a bang, muppet didn't take any notice of the oil light and carried on at a rate of knot's.
Detonated engine and the car was a write off as he claimed off his insurance saying he hit an "object" on the motorway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts