Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, As this is my first post on this forum, Hi to everyone!!

I took delivery of an 11 reg G on Saturday, 30K miles, dark grey, with the 2.0 JTDm 170 engine, my first ever Alfa after 33 years of driving :)

Prior to delivery, I decided that the standard lights weren't going to be good enough, after my last car which had Xenons as standard. The week before I took delivery I ordered an H7 kit from HIDs-Direct, the 55W version, which arrived next day.

Today I decided to fit the lights, after initially attempting to fit them yesterday, using the "try and fit a bulb without removing the headlight unit", this was a BIG mistake...........I failed, lost the clip, found it again and spent another 20 mins fitting the original bulb........

After reading a few posts on this forum, I decided removing the front bumper was going to be the easiest approach, the following are the stages to achieve this:

1. Inside each wheel arch X 2 - Remove 4 Phillips screws and one torx bolt (8 and 2 torx total), holding the wheel arch liner to the bumper
  2. Remove 4 x Large Torx screws, with the bonnet lifted and they attach the top of the bumper to the car (Infront of the radiator) I didn't have the huge torx driver required, so used a wood chisel, slotted into 2 of the torx slots and removed, very easy.
  3. Remove 5 torx screws - underneath the bumper, laid on the floor to do this
  4. Pull each side of the bumper out, to release the clips holding the bumper in place
  5. Remove the bumper from the car - start at each side, easing it forward a bit and release the clips at the top of the bumper, near the radiator

From this point it's plain sailing, there are 2 bolts holding each headlight in place, remove these and the headlight comes away from the car. This makes fitment of the HID bulbs, ballast etc very straight forward, literally a further 10 mins and everything is in place.

When you refit the bumper, make sure the clips underneath are correctly positioned, I didn't and had to remove the screws I'd refitted inside the wheel arch, don't make the same mistake.

Before fitting the kit I marked my garage door, to enable me to see if the beam pattern, or height had changed with the new bulbs; it was exactly the same as with the Halogen bulbs :)

Took the car for a drive and the difference is stunning, although not at there best yet (they need running in apparently) they are almost as good as my Wife's Volvo, with adaptive Xenons. I went for the 5000K bulbs, so no blue tint, just bright white light, with a clearly defined top edge on the road. There is no scatter of light, like you see on cars with HID upgrades, with reflector lenses not projection, like on the G.

All I can say is that for £55 this is the best upgrade you are likely to make and other users are very unlikely to flash you, as the beam is the same as before, just 3 times as bright.

If anyone needs any further details let me know.

Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Dan,

Hope your enjoying the G!

Nice straight forward write up.
I've been thinking of doing HIDs for a while now. Out of intrest which kit did you buy? (theres to many to choose from and to many different setups according to Canbus ect...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/new-55...h10-h11-h13-h15-h16-9004-9005-9006-9007-9012/

This is the kit, 1.5 hours later and your night time driving will be far more relaxing!

If I was doing this again, it would take 45 mins max, but if it's the first time it's Likely to take longer.

I would also recommend spare bulbs and changing the high beam H1 bulbs to a bright white halogen, hids-direct sell them for £12, just ordered some.

O

·
0 Posts
Brilliant wrote up mate.
Im tempted to install some on my G as the standard lights just don't do it for me.
I have the Cloverleaf edition and even though iv only had it 3 months, i feel the lights do let it down.

Thanks again for the write up, i will be ordering some and following your steps

If you have any pictures of the new light colour, could you post it up for interest please?

Thanks again

·
Registered
231 Posts
to those in the know....do we need the extra canbus cancelling box? i always though the G main beams weren't on the CanBus loop??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant wrote up mate.
Im tempted to install some on my G as the standard lights just don't do it for me.
I have the Cloverleaf edition and even though iv only had it 3 months, i feel the lights do let it down.

If you have any pictures of the new light colour, could you post it up for interest please?

Thanks again
Before and after photos as requested, the photo doesn't do the light output justice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to those in the know....do we need the extra canbus cancelling box? i always though the G main beams weren't on the CanBus loop??
I was advised by the seller that it did need the canbus version, in any case there was little or no price difference, so it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brilliant wrote up mate.

Thanks again
If you have any problems installing, which you shouldn't, let me know. Leave a few hours daylight just in case and don't lose the H7 spring clips, or you will be compromised and have a car with no lights.............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, I've duct taped the ballasts into the flat tray above both wings. I intent to buy some velcro strips to attach these in the tray, rather than drill self taping screws into the metal work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fitted Philips Extreme Vision H1 bulbs today, for the main beam. Not as bright as the HIDs but a big improvement over standard, once I'd aligned them correctly.

After a week of adjusting, I think I'm satisfied with the performance of my Giulietta lights :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I should have quite a few 100w bulbs here with H1 fitment, but can't find them. when I do, they'll go in for the high beam. only use them for signalling others to turn of the highs though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have quite a few 100w bulbs here with H1 fitment, but can't find them. when I do, they'll go in for the high beam. only use them for signalling others to turn of the highs though...
I considered 100w bulbs, but the wiring seems thin, so I wasn't sure it would take 100w?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for this thread Dan !

been thinking for a long time about HID upgrade, your post finally made me do it.
Ordered THIS set (your link didn't work) @ 5000K, I hope it'd be okay with the canbus and everything.

Will update with pics and impressions after it'll be installed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would absolutely love to fit these, my Civic had HID's and they were amazing, the Gs lights even up updated bulbs are pretty shoddy, but i've not the mechanical aptitude to do it without screwing up :(

I

·
0 Posts
My alfa had standard lights and was amazed with the BI Xenon on my Merc, the light quality and distance is amazing. Not sure if they have a blue tint or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
been thinking for a long time about HID upgrade, your post finally made me do it.
Ordered THIS set (your link didn't work) @ 5000K, I hope it'd be okay with the canbus and everything.

Will update with pics and impressions after it'll be installed.
back with some updates:
ordered and installed the kit.
the G got enough room for entire ballast and routings to be stored behind the bulb (and before the rubber thingy cover).
made numerous test runs with some friends, to ensure i do not blind any driver from the rear/front. after some distance/weight configurations - it seems everything is 100% friendly.
the improvement is superb, both to the drive experience, and to the looks. FINALLY the headlight matches the LEDs. i ordered the 5000K kit and it's spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Guys

Sorry to bring up an old thread but the links are out of date and I puck up my Cloverleaf today - already seen the yellow bulbs on my test drive so wondered if someone can post a new link or are the Phillips 150% bulbs OK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts