Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a good drive tonight and all the suspension work which has been done over the past year has paid off. I still have a few small jobs to finish but I now know that the dip beam lights as stated before are not the best.

Some suggestions for the Hid or Led kits that have been fitted to a GT would be helpful before I start the search...........

·
Registered
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8TS
414 Posts
I run Philips Ultinon Xtreme on my 156, and am very pleased. They're expensive, but light goes where it's supposed to, and not allover the place, like some of the cheaper alternatives out there.
I have just ordered some Lumin Pro for my hi-beam, so I'm curious to see how that comes out.

One thing to note, is that I strongly recommend you at least get uprated halogens for the hi-beam, when installing LED in dip beam, as with a regular halogen, you'll hardly be able to tell if you've got your hi's on or not.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,975 Posts
You will need to change back to original lights for the MOT, the rules have been tightened up recently.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
One thing to note, is that I strongly recommend you at least get uprated halogens for the hi-beam, when installing LED in dip beam, as with a regular halogen, you'll hardly be able to tell if you've got your hi's on or not.
I strongly agree with this. My 147 (FL) came with HID dips. They were bright and had R type bulbs so didn't dazzle, but they were horrible, patchy with no penetration and poor beam control. On country roads at night, terrifying as they overwhelmed the halogen MB's. I pulled out the HID and changed both dip and MB to Philips Extreme 130's three years ago - a massive improvement with very precise beam control. And of course no MOT issues.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Some suggestions for the Hid or Led kits that have been fitted to a GT would be helpful before I start the search...........
HID retrofit kits are, in my experience, naff.

I ran a set of H7-R HID bulbs for a while in my factory reflectors. Nice bright white light, but the reflector design just ended up creating a really bright hot-spot in front of the car. Beam alignment was fine on a few years worth of MOTs, so I think it's just the design of the reflector that's the problem.

I pulled out the HID kit, put in a set of H7 halogen Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. Much better overall.

If you're dead set on improving the light output, look at retrofitting projectors into the factory housing. Running high output HIDs in the facotry reflector just doesn't work well.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When I first got the car after going for a drive at night I could not see anything clear ahead so I fitted Philips extreme white vision bulbs which improved them a bit.

I will look at what's available now and decide.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: Fruity

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The bulbs are the easiest way of improving things and have no legality issues but I have noticed that 156 FL headlamps now appear to be unobtainable. I think only Alfashop has left ones available. Unfortunately, the likes of Autodoc only supply LHD ones for Europe (not UK, Australia or South Africa). If anyone knows a source of RHD ones, please post. Indeed, it may be we should start a sticky for hard to obtain spares. If not, a 156 FL could only get new LHD lamps and would need an immediate projector conversion such as;

Nonetheless, a conversion could be a good idea for better lights and should be considered. Perhaps there should be a sticky for better headlamps anyway but probably a new thread to bring it together to avoid many protracted posts and links.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
Headlamp reflectors are designed as a parabola in which a filament is centred. A big ball of random LED light will not work as intended and certainly can’t be aimed.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered today, report when fitted.

Fitted them today to the dip beams and removed the Philips white vision extreme to the head lights, will go out for a drive tonight to see what they are like.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another step up improvement in the dip beams and high beams however I need to look at the alignment as I think one of the high beam bulbs was fitted previously fitted incorrectly and the headlight been adjusted to compensate for it. I will see if the local quick fit garage will check them over for alignment next week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts