Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not the place to post this... but it seems a fair few GTV-ers have HID kits fitted.

I recently fitted this kit. Note that it's a 55W/5000k and very splendid it is too... :thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55W-50W-X...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27be21c6fc

First questione:

Lamping up time is a few seconds. I get a quick "flash" when the lights come on... ("illuminate") but no actual light.. :D It takes a few seconds for the bulbs to start glowing (blue) before they get to the full white. It's not a problem .. just 5 or 6 seconds .. but is this normal for after-market (or standard fit?) HD kit?

Seconda questione:

Spare parts. I reckon soooooner or later I'll need a new bulb or a new ballast (though touching wood) and judging by how Halfords don't sell them... I probably need a spare of each in the garage. :)

I looked at places like Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDS 4U - H7, H4, H1 - they sell items as "spares" but they are also as expensive as buying a whole spare kit (single ballast £30, bulb £15 cf. £32 for the lower-quality? whole kit I bought..)

I'm sure there are cheaper parts out there.. but what does everyone else do if/when they need a new component?

Ralf S.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,660 Posts
First answer. Perfectly normal

Second answer. I have had HIDs for the last 4 or so years, they are always on and i have yet to replace any parts. Bulbs or ballasts. They are pretty tough

1 - 2 of 2 Posts