Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I鈥檓 looking for a hid kit or to do something with my front lights / bulbs to a xenon cool white look from the front with all my lights!

was even thinking of new lights completely but then don鈥檛 want to change the original look.

Ideas or pictures or links will be grateful

thanks 馃槉

Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
Best advice.....DONT! Fitting HIDs in you std lights is illegal and wont (or at least shouldn't!) pass the MOT....but most importantly will blind other road users. HIDs in halogen reflectors is the weapon of choice for morons in lowered hatchbacks, with drainpipe exhausts around here......even on low beam they are blinding!!! And then there are other issues like needing headlamp washers on cars after a certain age etc to comply with the law etc.
Best improvement I made to my lights was swapping the cheap old bulbs to a high performance branded set like above.

Reactions: symon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best advice.....DONT! Fitting HIDs in you std lights is illegal and wont (or at least shouldn't!) pass the MOT....but most importantly will blind other road users. HIDs in halogen reflectors is the weapon of choice for morons in lowered hatchbacks, with drainpipe exhausts around here......even on low beam they are blinding!!! And then there are other issues like needing headlamp washers on cars after a certain age etc to comply with the law etc.
Best improvement I made to my lights was swapping the cheap old bulbs to a high performance branded set like above.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mate, thank you for the tips! I have spoke to my good garage that did my springs, remap and air filter and they can fit the hid kit for me + pass the mot for me too 馃槵馃憤!

In regards to the brightness etc鈥 I鈥檝e found a top supplier in the uk for them and I鈥檝e stated I want them as standard looking as possible (as like they come with brand new cars) so only having 35watt or something like that so won鈥檛 be over the top / super blinding bright etc鈥nd should be perfect 馃ぉ!

I鈥檝e tried to change the bulbs and doesn鈥檛 look right and also had issues with them too so I think this is the best bet to be honest.

Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
The beam pattern will be terrible as HID reflectors or projectors are different to halogen so halogen ones cant shape the beam properly....its the light bleeding over the cutoff line that blinds people. Lets hope your tester sticks to the rules a little more with other things....like brakes and tyres!!! I had many a heated discussions with yoofs with HIDs in the wrong housing when I was a tester....only ever passed one of them with HIDs in normal reflectors. his was the only one with a bright spot below the line!.But even with a good light pattern its illegal now. I can see you dont care about the inconvenience you will cause other so Ill leave it there....enjoy all the flashes from the other cars!!

This is how HIDs cut off in proper HID housings....
Automotive lighting Sky Building Window Electricity

......and this is typical light scatteroutput of HIDs in halogen reflectors.....bright but uncontrolled.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Ill leave you to it!!!

Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
I鈥檝e had HID鈥檚 and newer LED鈥檚 in my 166 and while the HIDs are absolutely transformative in terms of night driving, I have to agree with the comments about not fitting them.

Here in Ireland 鈥淗ID bulb in a non HID lamp鈥 is an NCT fail. The reason is the lamp reflector is designed around the bulb, with each bulb spec, say H7, specifying where the centre of the light source is. Knowing the positioning of the blub in the reflector and with a bit of simple geometry you then shape the reflector to send the light out in a controlled direction.

Halogen bulbs have a filament (the centre of the light source) that runs across the base, HIDs have a light source that runs along the length of the blub, so a lot of the light ends up hitting the reflector at the wrong angle resulting in it existing the lamp at the wrong angle and that鈥檚 why when you see a car with after market HIDs you experience that ball of light effect. This is also a problem for low cost LED options.

Best choice I鈥檝e seen (and my current installation in the 166) is the Philips X-tremeUltinon LED (Buy the Philips X-tremeUltinon LED gen2 with exclusive +Lumileds automotive LED 11972XUWX2 with exclusive +Lumileds automotive LED). These adhered to the halogen bulb spec and place the LED emitter in the same location as the original halogen bulb resulting in a near identical beam pattern with brighter output.

One caveat, while they pass an NCT in Ireland, they are not legal as they鈥檙e not ECE homologated.

I have tried a set in Mrs.V鈥檚 MiTo, unfortunately they wouldn鈥檛 quite fit into the lamp. If you鈥檙e prepared to make some modification to the back of the lamp case, then I鈥檇 suggest giving them a go instead of the HIDs (which have the added disadvantage of being hotter than Halogens and can cause the reflective coating on the inside of the lamp to break down.)

Mrs.V鈥檚 Alfa is currently equipped with Osram NightBreakers halogens which while not as bright as the LED鈥檚 are better than stock bulbs are closer to daylight in colour

V.

Registered
Another vote against aftermarket HID, here. My car came with them. The HID dips were blue and bright with a shockingly uneven spread, although the HIR bulbs prevented actual dazzle. They were worst on unlit country roads where the main beam was pathetic, and your eyes adjusted to the searing pool of HID just in front of the car. I ripped them out and fitted Philips Extreme 130 dip and mainbeam, and sanity and balance was restored. Much, much better.

If you must fit HID you must fit projector adaptors inside the halogen reflectors. They still won't be legal, but at least they work.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the comments guys, I don鈥檛 know what to do then, I want node cool white xenon look from the front and you can鈥檛 buy new complete lights can you with some standard but I鈥檝e tried the Philips bulbs and some might look alright but not all so what can I do?

I think the hid kit and bulbs I would get would be fine as from a super source and I won鈥檛 cause any harm to other drivers either as I鈥檓 not like that.

Any ideas welcome or links to any websites!!!

Here is the website I would use:

thanks 馃槉

Registered
155, 166 & MiTo
There's really two choices other than HID's

a) Higher output halogens, plentry of online reviews, here's one to get you started Best car headlight bulbs 2021 | Auto Express

b) LED's, but do ensure the emmiter is located in the same position as the halogen filament. AFAIK, currently only the Philips and Osram offerings conform to the spec, but do some research before making a purchse.

There are some aftermarket complete lamp replacements avaiable for the MiTo which are LED based, but I've only seen them for left had drive cars (i.e. they'll have their beams focused to the right).

But again a caveat, just like the HIDs the legality of any or all of these might be questionable.

V.

Registered
I think the hid kit and bulbs I would get would be fine as from a super source and I won鈥檛 cause any harm to other drivers either as I鈥檓 not like that.

Any ideas welcome or links to any websites!!!
There is (or was - I can't find him now) a guy on Facebook who takes apart light units and installs aftermarket projector units for HID or LED. They work properly, but aren't cheap, no longer look standard, and still aren't legal because they aren't homologated. In theory that invalidates your insurance. Not cheap either, last time I looked around 拢250-拢300 including suitable HID's. It's also possible to DIY, you'll find guides on YouTube.

Whether the MOT inspector accepts them or not is another matter. My car passed MOT twice with **** H1R HID dips in standard 147 FL reflectors, but I thought them unsafe as they were so messy, uneven and out of balance with OE main-beam halogens. MOT testing has got tougher since.

Frankly it was a relief to get rid of them. I have no sense that the lights are trying to kill me now, on unlit country roads, with Philips Extreme130's. They were on a deal on Amazon and around 拢50 for 2 H1(dip) + 2H7(H7). People say they are short life because they are overrun for brightness, but mine have been fine for 4 years - though I don't do a lot of miles. Osram Nightbreakers are also supposed to be very good, but the Halfords own-brand have a solid reputation for only lasting a few weeks or months.

LED conversions seem to be as problematic as HID, but with added issues around just not being very bright, or difficult or impossible to fit due to cooling sinks/fans, or premature death. I'd definitely suggest you do as much research as possible before committing. Ultimately, no matter how cool they look, if they land you in a ditch, they aren't.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
red
There is (or was - I can't find him now) a guy on Facebook who takes apart light units and installs aftermarket projector units for HID or LED. They work properly, but aren't cheap, no longer look standard, and still aren't legal because they aren't homologated. In theory that invalidates your insurance. Not cheap either, last time I looked around 拢250-拢300 including suitable HID's. It's also possible to DIY, you'll find guides on YouTube.

Whether the MOT inspector accepts them or not is another matter. My car passed MOT twice with **** H1R HID dips in standard 147 FL reflectors, but I thought them unsafe as they were so messy, uneven and out of balance with OE main-beam halogens. MOT testing has got tougher since.

Frankly it was a relief to get rid of them. I have no sense that the lights are trying to kill me now, on unlit country roads, with Philips Extreme130's. They were on a deal on Amazon and around 拢50 for 2 H1(dip) + 2H7(H7). People say they are short life because they are overrun for brightness, but mine have been fine for 4 years - though I don't do a lot of miles. Osram Nightbreakers are also supposed to be very good, but the Halfords own-brand have a solid reputation for only lasting a few weeks or months.

LED conversions seem to be as problematic as HID, but with added issues around just not being very bright, or difficult or impossible to fit due to cooling sinks/fans, or premature death. I'd definitely suggest you do as much research as possible before committing. Ultimately, no matter how cool they look, if they land you in a ditch, they aren't.
Thank you for the advice and comments, with all that鈥檚 been said I think I鈥檒l try this ones I鈥檝e been quoted on to give me that look + vision on my mito sport. I am after a very nice cool white led / xenon look and it will be better than what I have now unless there is complete new lights you can get for these cars with those lights as standard like some other Alfa鈥檚 I鈥檝e seen on the road???

thanks 馃槉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts