Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I take it your looking for a HID xenon ice white/blue look. I've tried lots and lots and not really been impressed with any, apart from the Philips Diamond Visions 5000k. These look superb and unless you drive a lot of country roads, are perfectly usable on the road and light up cats eyes, signs, white markings very clearly, but they are not road legal, for a reason I can't explain. Here's a video of them installed on mine. Actually look better in the flesh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O07DehZb3Co&feature=plcp&context=C38294adUDOEgsToPDskIQEiBkQaDGetjKnDVUHF1b

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it your looking for a HID xenon ice white/blue look. I've tried lots and lots and not really been impressed with any, apart from the Philips Diamond Visions 5000k. These look superb and unless you drive a lot of country roads, are perfectly usable on the road and light up cats eyes, signs, white markings very clearly, but they are not road legal, for a reason I can't explain. Here's a video of them installed on mine. Actually look better in the flesh.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
Look nice mate, that link didnt work but i found ur vid. Ever been pulled over or anything as a result? Is this something the police would take action over?

Were they hard to fit mate?

Edit: Just saw ur other video, dont look too bad to fit!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Look nice mate, that link didnt work but i found ur vid. Ever been pulled over or anything as a result? Is this something the police would take action over?

Were they hard to fit mate?

Edit: Just saw ur other video, dont look too bad to fit!
Sorry link was from my phone.
Nope, never had any trouble and never been flashed either. I try and be a good law abiding citizen, so if i get pulled over and was told to take them out, i would, but its causing nobody any harm and i can't find a reason why they're not road legal. They're the closest look to xenon lights you'll find and people can't tell the difference, but you can't beat genuine xenon lights for performance. I've just fitted some 5000k LED bulbs for the DRL's to match now. :)

Well, the fitting video is for the DRL's, but changing the dipped beam is equally as easy. Take the bottom rubber cover off, turn the socket antil clockwise once, remove bulb. Don't touch the glass of the bulb though! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one dude, will pick up some of those phillips ones when i get paid. Are they dazzling to other drivers? Got to keep them fully dipped?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Like i say, never been flashed and had anybody complain. I keep the setting at normal (0) and if i have a full load, adjust as needed.
It may take a bit of time to adjust to them and sometimes you may feel you need the full beam, but that's what its there for right. :)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,409 Posts
Nope, they are just different coloured halogen bulbs

For HIDs you need projector beams - the sort of opaque spherical lenses. Chances are if you have them then you will already have xenon lights. Standard reflector lenses will make HID bulbs illegal due to spectacular beam scatter

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I believe the Mito has projector lenses. Gives the light a diamond look right?

·
63,409 Posts
Some do, some dont. If the unit is mostly clear with lots of angular reflective surfaces, and you can see the headlight bulb then they are reflector lenses and as said wont take HIDs, but will take the bulbs listed above :)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yeah you can't see the dipped beam bulb behind the lens. :)

·
63,409 Posts
Harder than standard halogens but still dead easy. Its all plug and play and you get instructions included. A million times better than standard bulbs too

Something to bear in mind, the colour temperature scale doesn't have anything to do with brightness so dont just buy the highest one because that seems best. For road use I would stay away from anything over 6000k as they will be too blue. I have those in both my Gtv and 145 and are about as blue as other xenons. 4300k is almost white and 12000k is pretty much purple :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hmm I'm tempted myself, but aren't they bringing in tougher rules and checks regarding aftermarket HID's since they're not technical legal?

·
63,409 Posts
They remain legal as long as the car has a self levelling headlight system, which the Mito will, and the car has headlight washers. Speccable option i think?

I have never had an issue with either of mine come MOT time. I suppose if you keep your old halogen bulbs then its only a 10 minute change over every year once its MOT time ;)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
It's got a manual levelling system and yep the washers are an option, but I haven't got them. Would you need to get the beam pattern calibrated after fitting? Thanks for your help by the way. :)

·
63,409 Posts
No calibration needed as the projector is designed to take these sort of bulbs. Glad to help :)

Look forward to your impressions if you get them, doubt you will be disappointed :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts