1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
cant help you, however would like to know how you get on!

p.s i bought the phillips xenon effect bulbs. pretty good actualy, good effect and fairly bright. also only takes 30 seconds to install and a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
352 Posts

p.s i bought the phillips xenon effect bulbs. pretty good actualy, good effect and fairly bright. also only takes 30 seconds to install and a fraction of the cost.
I've got the official HID lights on my Mito- they're Bi-Xenon, which means a single bulb
in each projector unit, with a solenoid-operated mask shaping the dipped beam.

Also has auto-levelling and power washers, as required by EU regulations.

IMHO you'd be hard pushed to equal this setup by aftermarket modding :rolleyes:

But I can vouch for better aftermarket bulbs- the best can give a useful boost in output :cool:

However, xenon-effect (tinted halogen) bulbs are not likely to be amongst those :(

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'm looking into having two separate kits one for dipped and one for main. Otherwise will just have the kit for dipped.

Where did you get your hid kit from?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whilst this was possible to get away with before as only headlight beam was checked, from Jan 2012, the new MOT EU additions will require a check on all cars with Xenon bulbs fitted, to ensure that auto-levelling sensors and washers are installed (previously it was just a manufacturing requirement and not checked at the MOT).

Therefore you're unlikely to get away with fitting any retro-fit kits unless you're prepared to take them off again come MOT time. There is also the slim possibility of being given a vehicle rectification notice or your car being deemed unroadworthy (and the various recovery/storage charges that entails) if you get caught at the roadside by a traffic/VOSA officer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ok, I'm looking into having two separate kits one for dipped and one for main. Otherwise will just have the kit for dipped.
There's another issue I'd forgot to mention re. the official HID option:

The Bi-Xenon is just the lower projector assembly- the upper main-beam
halogen bulb is still fitted, to provide the headlight flash facility
(HID bulbs aren't good for this :rolleyes:)
So main-beam is HID plus halogen, absolutely fantastic :thumbs:

When I collected my car this caused me embarrasing confusion
with the dealer, as it wasn't obvious that Bi-Xenons were fitted :eek:
(until the first time I drove it at night :cool:)

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yer i wouldnt bother with after market HID kits, only ever hear bad things about them.

Im impressed with my xenon effect bulbs for dipped. good effect and still fairly bright, they do the job.
For full beam i use the phillips xtream power or something like that. no xenon effect, but seriously bright and really do the job well. Im sure they are award winning in all the car mags

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to convert to Xenon dipped and full beams (can-bus compatible) but as the full and dipped beam are separate bulbs (unlike other cars having 2 filaments in main bulb) I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to how I can convert both bulbs to xenon? Would I need to use 2 kits like this (and would the listed one work?):

50W SLIM SINGLE BEAM HID CONVERSION KITS - Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDs DIRECT Ltd

Thanks!

Jayden

Plus side, those are good kits and will be reliable.

Down side, the focal length of HID bulbs is different to Halogen so the lenses are less efficient in your headlights. Your eyes are less sensitive to the higher colour temps of HID so you need the extra light output to 'break even'. You need to fit the levelling system and washers to stay legal as mentioned before - unless you have £1500 for the fine if caught!!

In reality, you need to decide why you're changing. Is it looks or light? If you just want more light then get some decent Philips / Osram +50 bulbs and adjust the beam correctly. HID direct sell some half decent 'white' bulbs which will give you plenty of light and and HIDish effect without the hassle.

Up to you really...

C

·
0 Posts
I've put Osram Nighbreaker Plus in mine (both dipped and full beam) and they are very good, only took 15 minutes to do all 4.

·
Registered
105 Posts

@Towney

Bringup a old forum, got any pictures of your xenon effects in action?
cant find them on the philips website though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts