Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just curious if anyone has DIY HID into their 155 ?

i haven't take a closer look but i am sure the HID will fit into projector type headlight nicely.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the wiring needed uprating to run HID as they draw more current.

wrinx

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
What's a HID??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI -->HID = high intensity discharge.

wrinx you are right, usually it comes with ballast. i need to know if original head light housing will fit an aftermarket HID (phillips for instance)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can fit hid headlights in our 155...no need to have any special gadgets. its all plug and play

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen the H1 HID conversion kits and was tempted. They actually seem to draw less current than incandesent lamps. In terms of power consumed it's something like 35w as opposed to 55w. Some kits I was looking at seemed quite well thought out. The ballast would connect directly to the headlamp connector (no cuts), and the HID capsule had a H1 base that would fit in the headlamp housing at the correct depth. You'd have to fit the balast in a suitable place.

The problem lies with getting it through an MOT if fitted to a UK car. HID equiped cars need headlamp washers and an automatic beam leveling system to pass an MOT. The manual system fitted to the 155 isn't good enough. Depends on who does your MOTs ands wether they'd notice, but technically you couldn't get away with it.

I ended up fitting good +50% halogen H1s and I'm quite happy with those (Osram SilverStars).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts