Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me say Hi to everyone :) ive only just signed up :) im planning on buying an Alfa Romeo 147 within the next few days more than likely the 1.6 TS Lusso just wondered if you guys and girls would mind giving me some tips on what to look out for and common faults etc? i nearly bought one today but before i paid i noticed the laquer was peeling in a few places which i was supprised about with a car only 4 years old is this a common problem with the paint? or just a one off? Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome to AO.com:) First of all, cambelts!! These can fail. Alfa now recomend a change at 36,000. Secondly they can sometimes use oil(Alfa say 1000 miles per litre). Thirdly, suspension bushes can wear out. But above all it's a great drivers car :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea really liked the drive i had today in one so def want to get it soon as pos, likely to be around 60000 miles so will check for cambelt change etc my dad said alfa's have alot of electricaly problems, is this true? if so what?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest I can't really say about bad electrics because I've never really had any problems with them. On the cambelt side, they used to recomend a change at 72,000 miles but this changed late last year to 36,000 miles. When changing make sure a full kit is fitted:)

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
Laquer peeling is not common - so maybe ignore the car you saw.

A full service history is essential. Cambelt changes at every 36k likewise + variator (only £100 more) will save you grief later.

Electrics on modern Alfas (like the 147) are no worse than any other make.

Our 147 had a suspension bush (well rear arm) replaced under warranty at 15000 miles. It has now done 81000 miles and no other bushes have been replaced nor need to be.

Buy one - with decent paintwork.

Paul.

Oh - and welcome to AO - you will be glad you found us.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok sounds good :) is there a huge difference between the performance of the 2.0 and the 1.6? i have only driving the 1.6 so far but seemed quite a nice drive anyway also heard the mpg of either car is around 40mpg can anyone back this up? Thanks again

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Hi and welcome to AO - I ran a 1.6 147 for awhile but never got anywhere near 40mpg - mid 30s I would say. I always wished my 1.6 147 had more power and wished they fitted the 1.8TS to the car (as in 156). 2.0 more power but fuel economy will suffer..........if I had my time again 2.0 Lusso, 17' inch supersports :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
problem is im getting crap fuel econ with my current car so im going for a car which will give me better fuel econ with similer performance or not stupidly slow anyway i was hoping for 40mpg suppose it depends how you drive really

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
First of all let me say Hi to everyone :) ive only just signed up :) im planning on buying an Alfa Romeo 147 within the next few days more than likely the 1.6 TS Lusso just wondered if you guys and girls would mind giving me some tips on what to look out for and common faults etc? i nearly bought one today but before i paid i noticed the laquer was peeling in a few places which i was supprised about with a car only 4 years old is this a common problem with the paint? or just a one off? Thanks in advance for all your help! :)
Welcome, I wouldn't bother asking the guys, but the girls deffo. well, it IS a girly car (GTA excepted) :lol:

if the laquer is peeling, walk away. Belts, as mentioned. Serv. Hist a prerequisite (see the thread about someone saying ta-ta to his 166 :rolleyes: "Dead Car") Wheels can be expensive to replace of too f**d, and electrics (it's an Alfa after all). Other than those points, just excersise the same caution as you would buying any other used car. and don't let the "Follow your heart not the head" thing get you. But I guess, if you're looking at alfa, it's a bit late to say that !!! :lol:

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
problem is im getting crap fuel econ with my current car so im going for a car which will give me better fuel econ with similer performance or not stupidly slow anyway i was hoping for 40mpg suppose it depends how you drive really
i struggle to get 20mpg from mine. But I just LOVE the way it sounds !!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol well having a V6 will normally do that ;) bet it sounds v nice though! soo basically as long as its been well serviced etc and i can see its been looked after it should be all good? apart from that just keep an eye on the normall things to look out for

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
1.6 might be the best then :) - but 40mpg, sorry it won't do it! :(

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi there. Hope you get a good 'un. My 1.6 gets 37.5mpg doing mostly motorway driving averaging 70-80mph. I think thats pretty good.

Agree with what the others say about the oil. Check it weekly - they are thirsty wee blighters, but its worth doing this to ensure you don't cause engine damage.

Let us know what you get and post some piccies.

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
ok sounds good :) is there a huge difference between the performance of the 2.0 and the 1.6? i have only driving the 1.6 so far but seemed quite a nice drive anyway also heard the mpg of either car is around 40mpg can anyone back this up? Thanks again
The difference is not huge. The 2.0 is better - smoother (balance shafts) and doesn't seem to be working as hard at high revs.

I drive both. The 147 (1.6) always surprises me - I am going faster than I thought but the gearing is lower so the revs are higher in each gear. I just love it.

The GTV 2.0 is calmer - the noise at the same revs is lower and growlier. It has more grunt at the top end.

Bottom line - you will love them both. The 1.6 will, in everyday driving, be as good as the 2.0. But at the end of the day go for the 2.0 it will give you that bit more in a relaxed way.

You will average 30mpg with both.

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm on a 1.6 thats a little dissapointing tbh i get about 32mpg out of motorway driving atm and i have a 2litre and thats cruising around 80-90mph im going to be doing alot of motorway driving prob atleast 300miles a week if both engines will give the same/v similer mpg i might go for the 2litre

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If you run your Alfa constantly over 80mph, your fuel consumption will increase by 30%, so if you can bear to drive an ickle bit slower (difficult to resist in an Alfa!!), your mpg will be better.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea im ok with cruising at 80mph or just underwell i suppose even if i can get an extra 6mpg it saves me a bit of cash atleast :)

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
hmmm on a 1.6 thats a little dissapointing tbh i get about 32mpg out of motorway driving atm and i have a 2litre and thats cruising around 80-90mph im going to be doing alot of motorway driving prob atleast 300miles a week if both engines will give the same/v similer mpg i might go for the 2litre
My mpg reflects my driving style. I like to drive quickly (80 -100 mph) on suitable roads. On motorways the 2.0 is relaxed over distance. The 1.6 sounds good but is
a bit buzzy - you would not notice unless you had compared them but once you have you would go 2.0.

If you drive purely for economy in all situations then I am sure that the 1.6 will save 3-5 mpg.

Paul

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nah ocasionally i do like to put my foot down depends on the mood im in lol so is it realistic to excpect 37Mpg from the 2.0 cruising at around 80mph or just bellow? also does have the selespeed make any difference? also am i right in thinking thats a post way of saying an automatic?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts