Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im the proud owner of my first alfa 156 2.0 ts lusso
and i dont no how it should sound.. the thing is on cold start it sounds like a deisel which lasts for two mins, and the second thing is it whistles at 3000 revs as the speed drops down.. is this normal our have i got a dog.. it does drive great and quick..:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi craigo2006,

Congratulation with new Alfa.

I think your problem might be defect variator, but it can also be the hydraulic pushers. Replace the variator, cam belt and tensionor, and make sure to use a good oil like Casterol or Agip.

-- Gopp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks mate. what happens if i did all the things you said but not the variater i have new cam belt and tens, does it mean the garage doing all that again but more. ??:confused:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello !! :)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Hi and welcome

·
Registered
12 Posts
craigo2006 said:
thanks mate. what happens if i did all the things you said but not the variater i have new cam belt and tens, does it mean the garage doing all that again but more. ??:confused:
It's no need to change the belt and tensioner if they are new, only the variator. A defect variator is known to make a "diesel sound".

On my two Fiat Barchetta's I replaced 3 variators (same part) in two years. They made by Hitachi by the way, so don't say japanese cars/parts is better ;)

Edit: I did not answer all your questions. Try to change the variator and oil first, it's most likely the problem.

-- Gopp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts