Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right where to start. I've looked over this site and struggling to find any post with my issue.
I've an 04 2.0 gt jts cat d and it's suffering some very strange electrical issues, I no shocking haha.
This is awkward to explain so please bare with me.
So there's two issues
The first is a little worrying and well kinda dangerous really. Basically every now and then randomly I get a rear break light failure the worring part is this within 30 sec the engine struggles and cuts out. This results in the car not starting from anything from a minute to an hour. I don't have my hazard lights nothing.
When this first happens I was told the positive terminal on the batt was lose by the rac guy. He tighten it up but this has not fixed it. I've taken it to sooo many garages nothing shows up on diagnostic, cept blown bulb. But replace the bulb clear the fault it's only a matter of time before this problem happens again. Last time was on the m1 with no hard shoulder.
A side note my door windows don't work( I have too keep my finder pressed down) however accationally they do work. The wiered thing is when they do work the breaklight prob happens more often, and won't start for a longer period.

The second problem ain't much of an issue it's more just an annoyance. So if I just start my car and drive 5 times out of 10 with in 5 min( usually the first time I properly brake) the abs and vdc warning lights come on. Now if on the other hand I just turn the ignition on and not actually start the car and wait for all the warning lights to naturally go off then start the car the issues rarely happens at all. It's really strange I more just curious about this than worried the car drives fine and I'm sure it's sensers but anyone else had this? Is there more too it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated I love my alfa. She's my first alfa and really have fallen for her. I no she's a cat d but it would be **** to let her go
Thankyou

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Start with the basics checking battery terminals and ground points,add some ground points for
Battery to engine and battery to body see if things improve. Also what’s the state of battery is it in good condition?

·
Registered
151 Posts
As above, I would start with the battery. Also its a good idea to get a cheap obd cable and pair it with MES. You can check the battery output and loads of other things (it really is essential for any alfa, but jts in particular because of their misfire nature). Being able to track which coil has failed or which cyllinder is missing is nice thing to have. With the right cable you can connect to abs ecu and bodycomputer too. So, check the battery output, ground points, check and clean the connections.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you have some success by tidying up the earth and connections, theres a thread on here regarding upgrading "the big three". Sounds more interesting than it is btw.
Its just upgrading the three major earth points with lower gauge wire and finding a couple of new earth points too.

Theres a school of thought that the original wires are too thin and flimsy and not up to the job at hand
Best of luck
Tony

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,859 Posts
The abs and vdc warning lights problem could be the brake switch needs adjusting or replacing.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
@DocGT84, look here;
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/1176693-strange-electrical-faults-fixed.html

As a side note, because your car starts (I'm guessing when starter motor turns, it turns the engine quickly enough), it wont be the cable to battery or main earths CABLES. I suspect that it is possibly the inner wing earth connection or a positive from battery through a maxi fuse. However, do all the steps I did and I bet it sorts it. Look for tell tale signs of corrosion or blackening.

It sounds like a high resistance connection which powers auxilliary electric consumers (lights, fan, wipers etc). The more electrical load and the greater the time is applied for, the greater the heat and hence electrical resistance. The symptoms you experience and the way they manifest does seem exactly what I posted.

In your case, pay particular attention to the earthing cable and probably check both its inner wing connection and also where is goes into the cabin as the GT does have water ingress points that the 156 doesn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou for all your help guys. I've passed the info off to my alfa guy,(I'm no home mechanic) and I'll let you guys know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts